I Forge Iron

My first anvil re furb

After purchasing this, my first forge:

IMG_0130.jpg

I had to source myself an Anvil. I scoured ebay, trawled through my contacts to see if anybody knew of one, but all were either too pricey or that far away as to make it pointless driving off to pick it up!

Then a stroke of luck, a time waster on ebay blew out on a deal just 10 minutes drive away from the house, a quick ebay PM, bish bash bosh, £40 later and i collect this:

IMG_0145.jpg

Happy days! :D

After a quick clean up at home it looked like this:

IMG_0146.jpg

Not pretty, nearly 50 years as a garden ornament had taken its toll. So, what to do???

AHA! A few chunks of venison passed tactfully under a table later and it was in a milling machine at work having the base trued up, then across to the ring grinder and now, 7 working hours later, we have this:

IMG_0152.jpg
IMG_0157.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0160.jpg
IMG_0161.jpg

I estimate one more lunch break of work and she'll be ready. A touch of welding to be done, but otherwise, just what i need to get started! B)

Wow! The right tool for the job makes all the difference in the world. Good thing that's a nice thick face, the old girl will be glowing after her makeover.... :wub:

I would dress the edges and stop a that point. No need to make 100% of the face perfect as that is removing a lot of tool steel face.

Phil

And did the *right* way----Truing the base to the face and *then* working on the face to ensure minimal thinning is done.

Yep, she's gonna look great by the time i'm done!

Going to dress the sides once the top is done, i hear what you're saying Phil, i may just stop where i am now, build up the last few dips with weld and then do one more pass to clean up the welded area and make it true with the rest.

The grinder is water cooled Mac, so the face doesn't even get warm. The ring grinder is set to take of 15 thousandths of an inch each pass and takes about 3 seconds to travel the length of the face, then it automatically comes across the width of the stone for the next pass. I've stayed with the machine all through the job, but in theory i can set it to do it all un manned until it's taken off a set amount. I estimate we've taken 5-6mm off at this stage.

More pics will be posted here as and when i do anything new :)