I Forge Iron

anvil rebound?

hy guys

today I received an anvil I was expecting for almost two years - transportation problem, it was in the other end of the country...

it's a no name copy of the southern german pattern (like this http://www.anvilfire.com/anvils/greenwood_anvils_011.php), but not as beautiful, especially the conical horn which isn not quiet conical, but rather a rounded pyramid, and also has a casting flaw, something like a miss alignment of the two halves. but's not a problem, I have other anvils which have nice horns.

anyway, it has something around 160kg and has a flat face, in good condition.

it seems to me that it's a cast steel anvil, it rings nice and has a rebound that I estimate ~80%. also the file seems to skate across the face and the 2.5mm ball bearing used to test the rebound doesn't mark the face.

so, how "good" is that rebound, is that a sign that's a good steel?

I'm not a firm believer in the steel ball drop test as being completely definitive, but that being said, if you get 80% rebound with a 2.54cm steel ball dropped from 10in or 25.40cm then you have a fine anvil. Test it with a good hammer.
In all honesty, if you were to drop a 2.54cm ball from 3 meters you shouldn't see an indentation on a good hard face, but you'd probably be chasing the ball across the room.

I checked that on anvilfire and it seems it's not bad at all. today I checked the rebound again with the help of a ruler and I got the confirmation of what I estimated by eye - 80% and just slightly over at the best rebounds. the surface is not perfect and clean, so not all are as good.

there are a lot of no name anvil copies made during the communist era around here, as cast steel was cheaper than a new commercial anvil, which I think it wasn't available on the market (communist economy). some time ago when I was looking for an anvil I was offered to cast one for me for a ridiculous sum of money, but I got a fixation for a "real" anvil and didn't get it... and now the opportunity is long gone. If I would have had my mind of today I would have been making an anvil model of mine to be cast.