I Forge Iron

New "real" anvil

Hello there, i was thinking of buying an anvil but i cant realy figure out wich to buy, a new anvil in the 60-70 KG weight class costs around 1200 USD (kohlswa) while a used one (no name generaly and mostly cast, im guessing steel) costs 800 USD (generally with the edges beaten off) and if i was to buy a kohlswa, maybe i should just go for a 90-80KG (costs 1600)(200 pounds) anvil, i wouldnt realy want any heavier beacuse i cant move it around much then. I was thinking of buying a B26, i can afford the extra cost but then i wont realy have any money (i only earn 100 USD a month + the occasional chainmail i sell that makes it to around 200-300 USD a month)

i was also wondering if you could ID an anvil for me, it weighs 50 KG and he wants 600USD for it + shipping = 800USD

post-26135-0-22595800-1341224670_thumb.j

For a first anvil -
do not worry about brand names - just get one you can afford and then you can always upgrade as you see fit later. Also, many other large chunks of steel have been used very effectively as an " actual anvil".

Thats what i also was thinking but im thinking that it qould be better just to pay 400 USD extra and have brand new anvil that i know is good + corners not destroyed, and i know of some of the things that have been used up the years by diffrent smiths but im thinking of just buying a good anvil now and stick with it

The edges on this anvil look good, but it appears to have been milled/machined on the face...which could be a bad thing as I'm sure they took a lot of the face plate off, making it thinner and reducing the life of the anvil. I agree with Jeremy on this, don't worry too much about name brand and a big chunk of steel will serve you well.

"good sharp corners" that the old blacksmithing books tell you to round off first thing when you get a new anvil to prevent them from marking your work and causing cold shuts. So you want to pay extra for something you don't need and shouldn't have in the first place? If you need a sharp edge---make a hardy tool with one. Size it right and you have 4 that you can use just by rotating the tool when you place it in.

Frankly it sounds like you don't have enough experience to be throwing that much money around. Buy a decent used anvil and use it a year or two (make money with it!) and then use the money you've made to upgrade to what you really need.

People have been forging on basically cubes of metal with a spike on the bottom for over 2000 years while the london pattern dates back a bit over 200 years So what does a "real" anvil look like the 2000 years of use or the 200 years? (Traditionally made japanese swords are still forged on hornless heeless anvils and most folk consider them to be OK)

im aware of the fact that a block of granite ( i think it was) would do me good, but i havent realy got to much other to spend the money on and i realy like the idea of a horn, but i dont like the idea of buying an anvil for nearly 1000 USD when i can pay 500USD extra and get a brand new Refflinghaus shipped to me that weighs 25kg more than the anvil i showed. im not even sure if there is a way he can ship the anvil as in Norway you have to get acces to industrial shipping for shipping stuff heavier than 35kg, so i dont know if i can even get it shipped to me... though i might find my grand grand fathers anvil as he was a professional smith, do i think it is sold, but i have heard refflinghauses are very good and if the Euro drops even more i will get it for a lower price....

I so envy you I have been buying tools for over 40 years and I still could spend that much money on tools in a heart beat! (shoot I could spend that on books and that would only pay for a couple of them...)

Get what you want it's your money. Then don't listen to anybody else. You spent it as you wanted to and that is sufficient!