I Forge Iron

Made my first gas forge

rlonstein

I'm just starting out but last week I assembled my first gas forge from a scavenged refrigerant canister. Lined it with 1" of Kaowool all around then about 2" of Kast-o-lite 30. After it dried for a couple of days and I ran a few test firings, I painted the interior with Plistix 900F:
post-23599-0-76876600-1340157056_thumb.j post-23599-0-81819800-1340157172_thumb.j

The burner ran great outside the forge (see my earlier topic http://www.iforgeiro...my-first-burner) but it ran rich in the forge itself so tonight I replaced the 0.30" MIG tip with a 0.25" one. Less gas, higher velocity. Nice. Almost no orange. It gets good and hot for forging.
post-23599-0-74207500-1340157262_thumb.j post-23599-0-18442700-1340157494_thumb.j post-23599-0-28273900-1340157528_thumb.j

And it works! My first effort with it (also my first effort without anyone coaching me), a 1/2" steel bar drawn, scrolled, and twisted:
post-23599-0-09619600-1340157573_thumb.j

Thanks to all of you for the info and to WayneCoe for the supplies and advice.

Now I just need practice :rolleyes:

Looks like a good forge! Is there an open space between the large pipe the holds the and the burner pipe? If so I would stuff some kaowool in there to prevent cold air from being sucked in....no bueno...... :)
Oh and thanks for not asking if you should or how to cut it open......

Looks like a good forge! Is there an open space between the large pipe the holds the and the burner pipe? If so I would stuff some kaowool in there to prevent cold air from being sucked in....no bueno...... :)

Yes. I stuffed the collar with scraps of kaowool when I was tuning it.

Oh and thanks for not asking if you should or how to cut it open......

For the record, I used a large punch to put a hole in the empty canister then filled it with water before mangling it. The MSDS (and the side of the can) say the contents are non-flammable but I didn't feel much like proving it.

Yes. I stuffed the collar with scraps of kaowool when I was tuning it.

For the record, I used a large punch to put a hole in the empty canister then filled it with water before mangling it. The MSDS (and the side of the can) say the contents are non-flammable but I didn't feel much like proving it.

All good!.......There must be 50mb in the arhives on the subject of cyilnder intrusion so I made a little funny...... :)

All good!.......There must be 50mb in the arhives on the subject of cyilnder intrusion so I made a little funny...... :)

I remember the most recent thread... it was a, uh, vigorous discussion and so were the older ones. There's always some topic that gets the fur flying, maybe someone can start a "removing the guard on my angle grinder" discussion :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to know, I swapped the 20# tank to the BBQ grill this weekend when I ran out of gas during cooking. I'd say I ran the forge a little more than six hours over a few evenings and burned over half a tank. I don't run with an idler valve so if it's burning, it's at full blast. I refill tanks at a local hardware store for $20 (for 17# of gas, not the 15# at a tank exchange). Probably works out to $1.50-$2.00 an hour which doesn't seem too bad in terms of entertainment value :P

I'll keep better track after my next refill.

Thanks, that sounds cheaper than charcoal and it looks a lot cleaner than a coal forge B)

Something thing I learned (and I had been warned) is that large, bent, or odd-shaped pieces will not fit into the forge or will but only after fiddling the entry angle, etc. This isn't an issue with a open firepot. Wayne had suggested making a hinged cut-out on one side to accept larger pieces or to exclude most of a bend from the heat. Next time.

• 2 weeks later...

what size bag of Kast-o-lite did you buy.

I bought three 6lb bags and used two bags to line the forge. If I recall, the refrigerant cylinder is 10" diameter and 17" long. Smaller than a 20# propane tank for the bbq. If I had used a bbq tank, I'd probably have run short on castable. It might be more economical to buy a 50# bag.

• 3 months later...

Hard to know, I swapped the 20# tank to the BBQ grill this weekend when I ran out of gas during cooking. I'd say I ran the forge a little more than six hours over a few evenings and burned over half a tank. I don't run with an idler valve so if it's burning, it's at full blast. I refill tanks at a local hardware store for $20 (for 17# of gas, not the 15# at a tank exchange). Probably works out to $1.50-$2.00 an hour which doesn't seem too bad in terms of entertainment value :P

I'll keep better track after my next refill.

I swapped the 20# for a 30# tank and kept careful track of my usage. I burned 7.3 gallons of propane over 8.75 hours (full tilt, no idler, kept freezing up near the end of the tank). The 30# Tank refill rounded up cost $23, so works out to about $2.63 per hour in fuel. Less economical than I thought, but still reasonable for the fun. I'm going to take MRobb's advice and plumb in an idler and see how my consumption changes.

• 3 months later...