I Forge Iron

my first burner

rlonstein

I bought and read Porter's book and followed the threads of other's experiences (thanks Phil and Frosty) and built my first 3/4" tube burner using locally available parts.
33.jpg
(Yes, I know there's a galvanized bushing in there... I used what I could get. I'll have other problems if I get enough heat up there that I need to worry about zinc fumes)

34.jpg

Burner in operation. It holds a steady flame on the workbench. The tube behind the "flare" get just hot to the touch after twenty minutes of use so I think I have the flame where I want it.
35.jpg

I don't have my forge built yet, but the burner brings a 1/2" square bar to light-red in open air before I get bored holding it in the flame.
36.jpg

Good Show!

I wouldn't worry too much about the fitting on the end if you work in an open air space. If you are inside, take it apart and pickle it overnight in vinegar, then wash it with dish soap and a scrub brush. After it is dry put it back together. No more zinc, no more problem.

Phil

• 3 months later...

Yes, that's the intake and at 1.5" it's really not enough for a 0.030" mig tip into a 3/4" tube. If I had access to a drill press, I would have done like Phil K. and Frosty do with their T-shaped intake. I may still hunt down blackpipe cross and double the intake just to see how it burns.

NBlackMon96, take a look at http://ronreil.abana.org/design1.shtml and maybe buy the book by Michael Porter I referenced, http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1879535203 I didn't follow Porter's design but between the two I got a good idea of what needed to be done.

Good luck!