I Forge Iron

Jungle chopper

Sam Salvati

That's a nice looking hacker Sam. I like the shape, a bit Parang-like, functional. Like that handle too. I'll have to look into how to do that. Funny, just yesterday arvo I was sketching on a piece of spring steel with chalk to find a blade shape that appealed and ended with something pretty close to this.

That's a nice looking hacker Sam. I like the shape, a bit Parang-like, functional. Like that handle too. I'll have to look into how to do that. Funny, just yesterday arvo I was sketching on a piece of spring steel with chalk to find a blade shape that appealed and ended with something pretty close to this.

Whirly thanks. I modeled it after parangs and goloks. It's a natural chopping shape, but also slicing if it is thin too nice and wide. That wrap is easy, you ever lace up a pair of boots? Left over right then right over left :D

Left over right and right over left Huh? Reckon I can probably just about manage that....I later picked up on the middle of your top line there, you swapped this blade for a Peddinghaus anvil? Mate, you are one lucky.. (and if I was to continue with that line, I'd be accruing more warning points, so)..Bloke. Well done all round.

Left over right and right over left Huh? Reckon I can probably just about manage that....I later picked up on the middle of your top line there, you swapped this blade for a Peddinghaus anvil? Mate, you are one lucky.. (and if I was to continue with that line, I'd be accruing more warning points, so)..Bloke. Well done all round.

yeah, clamp the blade (wrapped in a towel or such) in a vice on it's side, so you can do the fold then pull it VERY TIGHT then drop a drop of super glue on the wrap over, then flip the blade in the vise and do that again on the other side.

And yeah I did :D though to be fair it's only a little 100 pounder a friend was selling on another forum. i sure feel lucky though still :D

thanks Gibbo, get to it!!! That's why I started making blades, cause I could not afford or otherwise get the blades I wanted.

Sam, (and anyone else who wants to try) with the leather handle, something I found by accident quite awhile back is hardening leather. If you take some (thick) tanned leather and sew it onto the hilt/tang and then pour boiling water over it, the leather will shrink and go hard, really hard. I'm guessing they did something along those lines when they were making boiled leather armour....and if is one of those 'sucking eggs' things, then just disregard.....

That is a nicely forged piece there Sam. What does that have, as far as blade length goes. About 10"? I really like your attention to the profile.

What is that line that seems to be a continuation of the bottom of the tang? Is there some kind of flattened socket under the wrap?

Robert

Whirly, that's a good idea I will have to try that! Been wanting to try a sewn leather handle lately too.

Robert hey! thanks. Yeah I think it was around 10-11". Not sure what you are talking about, maybe the knots under the leather that finished off the handle wrap? The tang was flat steel not a socket.

Sam,

Question on the handle configuration.

I'm doing a chopper varient out of leaf spring . 14 in modified bowie tip. 6 in handle full diminsion .25 x 1.25. I want to try the oriental style wrap nad not sure how to dress the tang. Do you notch the tang to retain the wrap? Not sure how it stays in place. Do you add scales (underlyament) of some sort to fatten the handle? I noticed that even with a heavy rap the 1/4 tang is not thick enough to be comfortable. I would like to get the width up around (.75-.80), seems the most comfortable. Lastly, the wraped line (paracord) tends to be soft and I would think it would loosen up over time. The old Japan swords had wraped handles but they (handle surface) were really hard to the touch and well sized to the hand.

I'm searching for ideas before I commit to a handle design any input would be appreciated.

Peter

Peter I round the edges of the tang, and forge it slightly undersize then if I was to do wood scales. I use leather slabs to add thickness, could use thin plastic or a regular coil wrap of stripped core parachord to add some beef. if you are lookng for that much increase in thickness, I would use some kydex slabs or uncored paracord.

I drill a hole in the end of the tang to tie my finish knot through, there's a lot of different finish knots you can do, experiment around but best to keep it as flat and low profile as you can for ergonomics.

Paracord is as soft as it is tight, in that I mean the tighter it is the harder it is. I use the big spring clamps that home depot sells for 1$ to help hold the wrap while my hands rest from pulling it as tight as possible. If you want to secure it 100% then after it is all wrapped and tied, coat it in super glue or clear epoxy. The japanese would sometimes Lacquer the handles, but tightness is the key here if there is any play it will just keep getting looser.

• 3 weeks later...