I Forge Iron

Canady-Otto blower & 'Tiger' blower

Frank Turley

These blowers are much alike, but I think the Canady Otto is of higher quality. The "Tiger" may be a knockoff or made by CO for resale. I got carried away...probably too many photos. I wanted to compare the two while I had the CO apart for cleaning and installation. The CO has a brass petcock, and you're supposed to fill (I used ATF) to the petcock. The Tiger has a so called "plug" instead of the petcock.This and the Tiger are two of the few old marketed blowers that have a lower, non leaking bath of lube oil. I finally got mine assembled and it is very smooth, just a barely audible hum when cranked. I put mine together with RTV gasket material. The lettering on the fan case says, "Royal Western Chief." There is no writing on the Tiger. I call it a Tiger because the four legged base to which it is attached says "Tiger."

post-74-0-09063500-1339721939_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-74470400-1339721967_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-96687500-1339721994_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-29336300-1339722017_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-97972500-1339722055_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-06217500-1339722086_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-03051000-1339722141_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-75106700-1339722170_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-97534500-1339722206_thumb.jpg

From the previous post, here is the Canady Otto cleaned and installed in my shop. There were remnants of red paint over much of it, but I didn't think it necessary to repaint.

They were manufactured in Chicago Heights, Illinois. I suspect they were the "Cadillacs" of all period hand blowers.

post-74-0-00389700-1339723472_thumb.jpg

Thank you Mr. Turley for providing this lesson. I always read your posts, because I always learn something. One day I hope to take one of your classes. This sort of side by side product comparison is always instructive, and what I come to the forums for.

According to old magazine ads, Canady-Otto made two lines of product near the end, their flagship "Western Chief" and entry level "Tiger" line. The same way a Cadillac Escalade and GMC pickup are both GM products nowadays. post-114-0-55388700-1339842007_thumb.jpg

Thank you Mr. Turley for providing this lesson. I always read your posts, because I always learn something. One day I hope to take one of your classes. This sort of side by side product comparison is always instructive, and what I come to the forums for.

According to old magazine ads, Canady-Otto made two lines of product near the end, their flagship "Western Chief" and entry level "Tiger" line. The same way a Cadillac Escalade and GMC pickup are both GM products nowadays. post-114-0-55388700-1339842007_thumb.jpg

John,
Thanks for sending that information and that ad. Mystery solved!
Frank T.

I suggested to Frank that the original seal might be a linen thread, because that was one of several sealing methods forund in equipment this vintage. I also suggested that RTV silicon would serve. He responded that he found a cord and reused that, buttered with RTV.

And that I have seen the proto's he posted I can see what is inside the three I have. I have never taken mine apart as I was able to flush them and get them in good shape without having to open the case.
Frank you are welcome for the suggestion, and thanks for the photo's.

I have a Canady Otto Blower complete except for the fire bowl, I constructed a fire bowl out of a brake drum and one end of a pressure tank for a water well. I don't even want to think of how I welded the cast iron brake drum to the steel water tank with my little mig welder. Anyway, after I got the blower I took it apart to clean it and the gasket that seals both halves of the housing was in bad shape. I took a leather boot lace, oiled it up and put it in. I cut the ends in a bevel so they overlapped. That old shoe lace has been in there for 12 years and it still dont leak.