I Forge Iron

Majestic Propane Forges any good?

Hayden H

• 1 year later...

I know this is a late posting for the person asking the question, but I am posting especially for anyone reading through looking for answers. I have and use a majestic forge daily and  i can personally recommend them for the low budget smith or newbie for sure. The attention to finish work on the forge left something to be desired (weld spatter left on the forge box after welding and hinges needed slight adjustment) but i must say that these forges do a xxxx good job for the price they are offered at. They easily get up to welding heat (I live in boston MA and at 26 PSI it reaches welding heat in 4 minutes) and i tend to maintain around 15 PSI for general forging heats. The only problems i have with them (2 burner knife maker forge) is that the paint comes off around the burners and the sloppy finish (leaving weld spatter before paint). All in all, none of the problems i have with the craftsmanship really matters in the fact that they function very well for the price they sell at. I believe it will last for a very long time and the function never gave me disappointment. The fire brick has held up perfectly over the past 4 months of daily use for at least six hours a day (always use a slip-in brick for forge welding due to flux corrosion). If your budget allows for it, I would suggest the next step up of diamondback forge and then large budget chilliforge. No real complaints about majestic though. They are also very prompt with shipping which is a huge plus for me!

-Crazy Ivan

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a 3-burner Majestic and I'm impressed.  While the whole thing is a bit heavy, you feel confident that it will last.  It's built like a tank!

The only negative that I can think of is that the burners are sticking straight up, and that means the flame is driving hard straight down on the work, with is a no-no for blade work...... never mind that the heat is going to run straight up those oh-so-convenient chimneys.  Considering the cost, they could have done better with that part of the design.

You can build one cheaper by buying the materials and building the venturi burners, but this is a solid forge for general smithing needs.