I Forge Iron

Drill Press dissassembly

Hi folks,

I'm having some trouble figuring out how to disassemble my hand crank drill press. Specifically, the one gear that is still attached. The other gear was attached the same way, but after I soaked it in kerosene it turned out by hand. There isn't a head or slot on it to use a wrench or screwdriver, but there is a hole in the edge of the gear which looks like it might be for this purpose, except it's not threaded or anything. Is there a special tool for this, or am I just missing something simple?

post-2067-0-08158500-1338958397_thumb.jp

post-2067-0-62374900-1338958435_thumb.jp

post-2067-0-74859300-1338958441_thumb.jp

From the angle of the pin it doesn't look like you can drive it out from the other side. Looks to me like you tried some pliers to turn the shaft out and failed........Try thay again with some heat on the backside of the threaded shaft............Why do you need to take it apart?

Looks to me that gear idles on that shaft/bolt. If so that hole would be a oil hole to lubericate the gear turning on the shaft. Which direction does the gear rotate? Shaft/bolt SHOULD turn out REVERSE to direction of gear rotation. Put a pipe wrench on the head of the shaft/bolt and see whaf happens. Reasemble with never-seeze. Let us know results. Armand

If the gear spins on the bolt then there is no need to try to remove the pin (looks like it is an oil hole that someone stuck something into). Soak it with PB Blaster. Then weld a large nut to the head of the bolt from the inside of the nut. After you get the bolt off you can cut or grind off the nut.

Great minds think alike. :)