I Forge Iron

First Forge Piece!!!

Well this is just a piece of rebar with some bends. I was mainly getting a feel for the heating process. First I started out trying to make and S bend then I thought well I'll make a snake instead. Then I though well why not take it one step further and try to flatten the rebar out and make a hooded up cobra..... Well as you can see I didn't get it flattened out alot. I am going to try and work on it somemore tomorrow. My neighbors were all out staring at my at about 9:30 since I was still just hammering away. I think they were getting mad at me...... ha ha ha ha ha. Oh well I was having a blast. anyway here are some pics.

DSC05517.jpg

DSC05514.jpg

DSC05519.jpg

DSC05524.jpg

Hey J, glad to see that you are getting started well. Tapering is easy. Like everything else it just takes practice.

Where are you in NC? It would be great if you were somewhat close. I am in the far upper right corner. there are many blacksmiths in NC and more will chime in shortly.

Mark <><
Between Elizabeth City and Hertford.

Don't know how to taper? Well you come to the right place to learn how. First off you got to get it hot, then square it up, then make an octagon, about now it's time for another heat, then forge to round, then to square, then to octagon and so forth until it is well tapered and as long and fine as you want it. As the taper grows you really got to watch the heat because the metal gets thinner and gets hot faster and will burn, that is it will turn into a sparkler and that is not good but fun to watch. Isn't hot iron fun! :P

Hey J, glad to see that you are getting started well. Tapering is easy. Like everything else it just takes practice.

Where are you in NC? It would be great if you were somewhat close. I am in the far upper right corner. there are many blacksmiths in NC and more will chime in shortly.

Mark <><
Between Elizabeth City and Hertford.

I am in Western North Carolina. Over In Asheville.

I don't know about squaring and rounding over and over, I just square it up, start at the tip and work back. The areas you hit most will be thinnest.

To get a wider draw on the hood work it on the horn longitudinally and use the dome pein on a turning hammer if you have one.

Looks pretty good for a first go, you'll be surprised how salable items can be if the customer can recognize the original stock so a snake that looks like rebar could be a fine seller. This is why RR spike knives are so popular even though they make a really low end knife from the utility angle.

Frosty The Lucky.