I Forge Iron

Crusty build up on metal

I have a few pieces of steel which have a warty build up on their surface. I chipped away a little bit on one, and it left the nice steel underneath. Does anyone have an idea as to a) what this build up is and b ) how to remove it best.

Thanks!
~Ridge

No, these were pieces that I found laying on the ground by the side of the road or partially buried in some dirt. I'm thinking it might be a chemical reaction. I'll see if I can get pictures after the rain stops. These items were never placed in a forge (yet!).

I started using electrolysis to remove rust and scale from metal. It also removes paint, oil, and grease. I had read about it but always thought it wasn’t worth the trouble when the angle grinder with a wire wheel was always so handy. Well I finally tried it and it was so simple that even I could do it. :) And no more rust dust to breathe either. It is so effective that I’m thinking of getting rid of my sandblast cabinet.

Here is a video link that explains it simply. This guy uses carbon anodes but iron or steel works just as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOx5URgjTiU&feature=plcp

• 2 months later...

Great videos! Thanks for that link. So tempted to check out the sun dried tomato gravy and pork jowl omelette but cant spend the 21 minutes.

Any ideas about a source for carbon hunks? Would old water filters work?