I Forge Iron

Newbie picking up a new anvil

Hello all,

My name is Adam & I live in Eastern PA. I recently got interested in Blacksmithing and set out to get an anvil. I just purchased the anvil today & will pick it up tomorrow. I got it off of ebay (fortunately I live close enough for pick-up). Can anyone help me ID it. I have been reading tons of threads here and this is my first post.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261029231188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

above is the ebay link to the anvil. This is my first purchase in starting my work shop (aka an empty 2-car garage made of brick with an old chimney)

Thanks for any help.
Adam

Looks like a good starter anvil. The edges look good should clean up nice. The gouge in the horn is a little strange is it a torch cut or a casting faw. I think it can be worked around. Try cleaning it up and look for more markings they may be under the rust .

One of the things Postman says in his book is that there are tons (literally) of anvils out there without markings that are good anvils. If there aren't any markings, it will be difficult or impossible to identify. When you get it home, you should take a wire brush to the side opposite the weight markings and see if anything clears up. Chalk and wax can help, too.

Having said that, it does, indeed look English to me. The triangular profile on the feet, and the squat proportions say early London to me (I can't remember exactly what Postman's classification for this period is). It's tough to tell age from that, since Peter Wright, for example, changed to the more elongated London pattern at some point, but Moushole never did. If I remember correctly, if it has a pritchel hole, it's after 1850. Some time in the early 20th century, things started being stamped "made in England" I think.

So I will guess it to be an English wrought anvil from between 1850 and 1900.

Not Cast that's a flaw in the original welding up of the real wrought iron!

Definitely English as it's weight stamped in the CWT system. It also has the sharp feet and thick waist of an english anvil. The pritchel dates back to the 1820's and some earlier anvils had one retrofitted by drilling at a later date so might be a few years earlier than Bajajoaquin was suggesting but not many. Not a Peter Wright but one of the 200+ other anvil makers in England.

The face has a working thickness left to it---PLEASE don't grind it thinner! (forging hot steel on it is a good way to clean rust and polish the face as scale is an abrasive.)