I Forge Iron

What would you pay...

Guest EMKnives

Guest EMKnives

Found what appears to be a peter wright, solid wrought iron 119lb anvil. From the one picture it looks like it would be a good buy. This would be my first "real" anvil.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Old-PETER-WRIGHT-119-LB-ANVIL-Blacksmith-Forge-107-Wrought-Iron-/300711915848?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4603d3b148#ht_3818wt_1396

On a budget, but this thing is really tempting.

Note that shipping is another $108 so factor that into the final price.

Last year I paid US$150 for 112 pound Peter Wright anvil is superb shape in Albuquerque NM found on Craigslist. Zero shipping cost---my wife picked it up when she went to the city on other business.

I got a steal of a deal---why I bought it. For that anvil note that the *starting* price of about $3 a pound is about max for what I'd suggest someone pay for one. Depends on how flush you are and how much you need an anvil; but I'd expect it will go up quite a bit before the end of the auction.

E-bay is generally not a good place to buy anvils as the shipping is murder and is often a hidden cost.

Shipping from Nebraska to California is going to pricey. While that's a mint-condition anvil from a great maker of anvils, is it worth the $100 in shipping? I could very easily see that thing going for $3/lb by the time bidding is over with.

What type of work are you looking to do? Are there better options at the local scrap yards?

I just bought one yesterday very similar to that except it was marked 1 1 1 ( I am thinking REAL hard that there are some numbers worn off along with a few of the letters that were worn clean off , because that sucker felt a heck of a lot hevier than 141 pounds for the two of us loading it and wewere both pretty stout and there was no lifting to it, we had to flop it in off the stand, and I've never seen my wagons springs cry for mercy like that, , not to mention the overall size doesn't seem to match up to one that light ) but I gave $160 for it on site, no shipping . Old farm auctions are great :-) Ive been looking for one of these things for ages, nobody parts with them around here.

Congratulations! Sounds like you are happy! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new baby.

I've bought 3 anvils all for less than $2.00 a pound here in Oregon where they aren't easy to find for less than $3.00 a pound. My 300# Fisher was only $360.00

But, I've found that there are more anvils available than most people think. They show up on Craigslist and sometimes are gone in an hour if priced low. If a person doesn't have an auto search running, or doesn't check 10 times a day they'd never know that there were good deals to be had.