I Forge Iron

Anchor For Slate Floor

Not sure. I've requested info on the floor. I'm pretty sure it's concrete underneath, there is an underground parking structure and I believe 3 floors above that. I need to make sure there are no post tension cables, I don't want to drill into the floor and create a catastrophe.

(null)

Good to know. Soft in that it cracks and crumbles? Or soft in that it drills easily? I'm gonna hit up Delta stone, they have supposedly the largest rock saw west of the Mississippi, they may know a thing or two!

(null)

Good to know. Soft in that it cracks and crumbles? Or soft in that it drills easily? I'm gonna hit up Delta stone, they have supposedly the largest rock saw west of the Mississippi, they may know a thing or two!

(null)

Maybe it cracks and crumbles, maybe not. Yes, it is easy to drill. I have run tapcons into slate before with mixed results. If the slate is thin you want to fasten to what is behind the slate.

I have also cut "thin" slate tiles with a hacksaw with little effort while installing.

Phil

You will want to get through the slate and into the concrete. I would try using a masonry drill bit with a normal drill motor to get through the slate, then use a roto-hammer to drill the concrete. The lead anchors with lag screws hold well.
You could have a testing lab come out and locate any post-tension cables or re bar before drilling

Thanks for all the replies. It turns out the floor is slate tile, backer board or thin concrete with 3/4 plywood subfloor underneath. Looks like i'll have to drill through the slate and concrete board and lag into the sub floor. There are wood trusses supporting the subfloor with around two feet of space under the plywood. Glad its not post tension cables!

There are also what are called "temperature" tendons which usually run in the middle of the slab with no profile for crack prevention, these are running perpendicular to the profiled cables. I once built a post tension slab that was 4 feet thick The profiles were reversed to provide lift at the columns. In other words they were profiled low underneath column reinforcing, and high at mid spam.

(null)

Mid span. Now you know more about post tension cables than you wanted! It was very interesting and challenging work. I use a 10,000 psi pump for my hydraulic press that is exactly like what we used to tension cables.

(null)

Hey Mark,
Utah is beautiful! I've got a pretty nice shop set up, you need to come visit so we can put Thelma, my Anyang 88 through its paces. The thing hits hard! We just rented a cool cabin in the mountains, there will be room if you wanna come visit.

(null)

Definitely. I'm getting into some more complicated Damascus patterns that are teaching me just how little I actually know, kind of humbling! I'm having fun though. It sure beats carrying steel on my shoulder all day. I had back surgery a few weeks ago, bad career choice being an Ironworkers for 17 years.

(null)