I Forge Iron

Inlaid Metal in Wood?

So I'm not sure if this is the right place for this since I don't think steel would be the ideal metal. I'm looking to inlay a wooden handle roughly an inch in diameter with ornamental metal bands (thin, silver in appearance). They rise a little bit above the wood in the item I'm trying to replicate, but they're not round so I can't just use plain wire. Does anyone know anything about this? I'd attach a picture but I honestly can't find one online. If any of you are huge nerds like I am, I'm talking about the handle of Thor's hammer Mjolnir from the Avengers movie.

No! you want strip and for a starter project I'd suggest nickle silver strip, some folks will file the edge slightly on one side to make it easier to tap into the slices.

if you get wire, anneal it and run it through a rolling mill to produce strip.

I just sat through a very good hands on session by Ron Claiborne at the Batson Blade Symposium on how to do silver wire inlay. You can find some good descriptions online as well as a section in Joe Keeslar's book, "Handles and Guards".

A few pointers from what I was taught and have barely used myself:

• The wood that you use is important. The preferred wood is curly maple since it will not chip or split easily.
  • The wire used is actually rectangular not round. Using a chasing hammer, you only lightly tap it into the groove you cut. You are not really upsetting it into the groove.
  • The wire is held in place by lightly moistening the surrounding wood to swell the groove closed when you are done.
  • Cutting the groove is like chasing. Ron used tools made by grinding down the ends of 2-3 inch sections of old hacksaw blades. The tool thickness should be about the thickness of your wire, 20-24 gauge. These tools are hand held and struck with a chasing hammer.
  • You lightly chisel a groove to about the depth of your wire height, tap in the wire, dampen it, file flush and finish along with the handle.
  • You can use nickel silver, fine silver, gold and I am sure other malleable metals. Joe Keeslar recommends 0.013 x 0.055 or 0.008 x 0.055 wire in his book.

The technique is very doable requiring a minimum of tools, a steady hand and a little practice. Good luck with it and please share back how it goes for you.

- Doug

Another woodworking option is to cut grooves, wrap a few layers of masking tape (or light cardboard and tape) leaving a small hole, pour pewter into tape. Remove tape and sand finish the pewter. Molten pewter will not burn the tape or wood. (Note: cast lead-free pewter needs to be used if it will ever be near food and is healthier for casting)

I'm pretty sure a google search will have a few how-to's online.

pic #1 at this link shows cast pewter on wood results and its lurking potential.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/pScott/sGrandstaff/screwdrivers.htm

Take the end of the dowel and cut it off. Glue on alternating layers of wood dowel and satinless steel fender washers. Run one long screw up from the bottom when done to really hold it all togeather.

That's not a bad idea. I'm using this as the handle for something that weighs 15-20 pounds, and so I've been concerned that when I swing it the dowel would snap. If I do this though then I can run a steel rod up the middle to reinforce it.

One you have the right handle,and as Thomas sugested pickaxe is good. carve your patern out.then get Aluminium dust(carefull it's explosive)and mix with resin(the type for glassfibre)you need a thick firm mix and add catalist. Now smear (real men smear!! :D reference to the birdcage)into your patern leave to set and sand -----Bob's your auntie!

Not blacksmithing I must admit ;)

One you have the right handle,and as Thomas sugested pickaxe is good. carve your patern out.then get Aluminium dust(carefull it's explosive)and mix with resin(the type for glassfibre)you need a thick firm mix and add catalist. Now smear (real men smear!! :D reference to the birdcage)into your patern leave to set and sand -----Bob's your auntie!

Not blacksmithing I must admit ;)

Eh, metalworking is metalworking. I'll consider that. Currently I'm liking the idea of cutting it into segments and drilling a hole through the middle, layering it with washers (possibly washers dipped in silver nitrate for a silver plating) and running a piece of round steel stock through the middle. At the bottom I'll pound the round stock until it flattens out some and the wooden/washer bits can't come off, then at the top I'll weld it to the hammer.

• 2 years later...