I Forge Iron

Rasp knife

joshua.M

I have been wanting to finish up some peices that i have laying around the shop. This blade was forged and ht'd over 3 months ago, the first pics are rough forged the last are finished,... lots to improve on but thats the point isnt it?

Thanks to everyone on this forum for putting up with me, i took some inspiration from stormcrow on this one, rough forged vinegar soak, paracord wrap with double turks head knot all sealed in 3 layers of clear epoxy resin, not sure what to charge for it as i did it mostly for fun, i have about 15-20 hours into it

I'm not a bladesmith though I do make the occasional cutlery. My preference is for blades that are smooth, the remaining rasp teeth make it a pretty nonfunctional knife in my opinion and I don't have much use for nonfunctional blades. Pardon the pun and no it wasn't intentional contrary to my well deserved rep. The pics are awfully low aspect (all dark) so it's hard to see much detail and I may be missing aspects.

Not being a bladesmith I don't know how much weight my opinion deserves, that's why I rarely comment on blades but I look at almost all of them because I like blades. Whatever you do, don't let critiques get you down, everything I do is deserving of criticism and I'm my worst critic.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm not a bladesmith though I do make the occasional cutlery. My preference is for blades that are smooth, the remaining rasp teeth make it a pretty nonfunctional knife in my opinion and I don't have much use for nonfunctional blades. Pardon the pun and no it wasn't intentional contrary to my well deserved rep. The pics are awfully low aspect (all dark) so it's hard to see much detail and I may be missing aspects.

Not being a bladesmith I don't know how much weight my opinion deserves, that's why I rarely comment on blades but I look at almost all of them because I like blades. Whatever you do, don't let critiques get you down, everything I do is deserving of criticism and I'm my worst critic.

Frosty The Lucky.

i usually finish out my blades at high polish,i just wanted to try out the forge finished vinegar etch.

The pictures are dark because i took them the night it was made and the night it was finished when i get a chance i will post nicer ones..

The rasp teeth were ground off before it was forged, the pattern is frome the concave spots where the teeth were cut out...

Thanks for the critique!

Rubbish pics!

Knife looks good - a bit of critique.... if you sharpen up the deffinition between the blade, ricasso and handle it will 'flow' better, keep an eye on the 'top line' from the tip of the blade to the butt of the handle - a smooth arc is easiest on the eye.

I like forge finished, but it looks really purposful if you spend a bit of time honing the edge up to a mirror :D