I Forge Iron

Pattern Welded Bracelet

I really want to have a go at pattern welding after reading a lot about it in the book I'm reading and having seen the results on the forums. I thought a nice practice project would be to forge a nice steel bracelet as it is a reasonably simple shape and shouldn't use too much material, so I'll be able to practice. The book I'm reading is for bladesmithing and recommends about 36 layers for some patterns, however I've seen some lovely looking rings forged with only 5. I have no preference on the pattern, as long as it looks nice. Is there anything you can tell me regarding materials or technique, or perhaps some books with information on basic pattern welding?

There is a ton of great stuff on pattern welding throughout this sight. Try to start with keeping it simple, some old bandsaw blades alternated with 1080 steel in a stack. Tack welded together so they can't move while forge welding. Remember that smooth scale free surfaces weld together much easier.

(null)

IF you insist on polluting the pattern with the weldment, only tac ONE end not the entire thing becaue the layers need to be able to slip a little else you get gaps that are very hard to close up from expansion, I use tie wire.