I Forge Iron

integral with guard

metalmangeler

The wood is just stuff I had here for other purposes. It is walnut I have left over from a gunstock that I plan to make but haven't and an end of hickory that was from a board that I used for hammer handles that was to long. When I make less mistakes and am more consistant in my handle making and fitting I will upgrade that aspect. I have some carabou and moose antler that I will start useing soon, and some nicer wood as well.

Mark, that is quite an achievement! Shaping a blade with an integral bolster is still just a dream for me, so, to see an integral guard is seriously impressive. What is your set-up like?

Oh, yeah, your knife itself is nicely done too. Hidden tang, integral guard,pattern welded steel, and a nice blend of materials for your handle. Thanks for posting your work. More food for thought!

Robert

That's looking mighty good Mark. You're coming along really well. I have some Myrtle I'll try to remember to give you. Next time you're over remind me and I'll show you the rifle stock Dad made for the 8mm.

It looks like from 1-3 guys may be coming over this Saturday, drop in if you're in the neighborhood. Or is there a home show going on you'll displaying at?

Frosty The Lucky.

Hello Robert
So I think you are asking about the knife set-up, I started with a bar about 1 1/8 X 5/8, I used a fuller to separate out the guard, and then just made a tenon for the hidden tang and in front of the guard I drew down the matterial for the blade then it was just a matter of flattening it and forging the blade. Then pushing the guard where I wanted it with a fuller. Then of course grinding, and heat treating...
If you are asking about the shop set-up, my shop is more of a production forging shop for small ornamental items such as hooks, cabinet pulls and such so I have powerhammers and quite an assortment of hand tools, spring swedges ect. that simplify these steps. On the other hand my grinder is junk, as normally everything is forged to finish.

Hello Robert
So I think you are asking about the knife set-up, I started with a bar about 1 1/8 X 5/8, I used a fuller to separate out the guard, and then just made a tenon for the hidden tang and in front of the guard I drew down the matterial for the blade then it was just a matter of flattening it and forging the blade. Then pushing the guard where I wanted it with a fuller. Then of course grinding, and heat treating...
If you are asking about the shop set-up, my shop is more of a production forging shop for small ornamental items such as hooks, cabinet pulls and such so I have powerhammers and quite an assortment of hand tools, spring swedges ect. that simplify these steps. On the other hand my grinder is junk, as normally everything is forged to finish.

It sounds like Disneyland to me! Or Santa's workshop. Or heaven.

Robert

I need to thank you guys for the nice compliments, thanks. Sometimes I am so rude it amazes me. Sorry. Anyhow Robert it is nice to have nice tools, but the truth in blacksmithing is you just start with what you have. You can improvise a fuller with just a round rod. And the rest of this could be done with hammer control. It would take longer is all, and depending on the hammer control it could be better or worse.

I need to thank you guys for the nice compliments, thanks. Sometimes I am so rude it amazes me. Sorry. Anyhow Robert it is nice to have nice tools, but the truth in blacksmithing is you just start with what you have. You can improvise a fuller with just a round rod. And the rest of this could be done with hammer control. It would take longer is all, and depending on the hammer control it could be better or worse.

I appreciate your candid responses. My set-up is just a few steps above rocks and a hole in the ground, but I am not complaining. If you saw my recent post, where I presented the 12 blades that I've made so far, I did all that I could with what I have. I love every moment that I can be at the forge! But as others have said, post forging consumes the most time. And again, I,and probably most everyone else here learns something new every time they log-in.

So I try to pick the minds of others to expand my knowledge. I find your work impressive, so I ask for clarification on points that I find myself lacking. I had to read through your reply several times to fully comprehend what you meant.

Even in teaching, one learns.

Robert