I Forge Iron

great scrap yard find

here are a couple of pictures from my morning dig
post-12147-0-97089400-1335540943_thumb.j 197.5 lb 10"x10", post-12147-0-32996800-1335540805_thumb.j 16" wide x5 3/4" tall 118 lb ( these are now in the shop. bought at $0.20 per lb.

post-12147-0-66354600-1335541245_thumb.j 14"tall x 4" thick x 7'6 long there are 9 i can see post-12147-0-27376300-1335541519_thumb.j 9'x6" about 8 i can see. now to get out what i want and get it cut.

I like your scrap yards prices a lot better than mine, the one I go to charges .32 cents a pound. I brought home some sq. tube, hex and round bar today. I also found a nice block (4"x6"x15") of hot rolled steel, but passed because I really needed the 33 bucks more than the steel.

I see lots of potential from Brazeal style anvils to power or treadle hammers and that's just the start. Our scrap yards don't sell to the public anymore, they have single buyer contracts so all we can do is. . . <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

That's a great yard you've got! I couldn't get into a scrap yard to save my life and turn green with envy at posts like this.

I'd be hard pressed to not buy all of that scrap and resell them as anvils for starting smiths. Heck that driveshaft, or whatever it is, would be great for a dozen or more post anvils for hand work or power hammers. Never seen the like of it around here!

kevin i was thinking the same thing would have to chamfer the edge to help from sticking. frosty i was also thinking of a brazeal style anvil or an oliver hammer anvil or a striking anvil. i'm going to see if the machine shop in town will put a hardy hole in it for me. after talking at a hammer inn last night i think pic 4 are drill shafts. there is some sucker rod around them also.

the great thing about this is that all this was just within 60' basicaly one little corner of the yard. the yard takes up about a city block if not two. so much more to see. one bad part is it is always changing so who knows what i miss or what will come in. there are some 55 gal. drums full of solid barings from 3" up to 12" they are about 4 or 5 inches thick and flat top and bottom eith a 3/4 hole in center. i am thinking bending dyes. ( not to rub it in) matt o