I Forge Iron

Little Giant Motor Change

The current little giant hammer I'm look at has a 2 horsepower, three phase, 1800 rpm, 220/440v, 52 amp motor on it. My shop is at my home and I don't have three phase. Can I replace this with a 2 horsepower, single phase, 220v, 1800 rpm motor without running into issues like not enough power, or not strong enough which will eventually burn up the single phase? I know very, very little about motors. My initial thought was that they put a 3 phase motor on the hammer for a reason, because of the issues I mentioned above. There could be others that I'm not aware of. I would prefer not to use a phase converter. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

I have single phase 2 hp 1800 rpm motors for $284.35 or a VFD for $448.00 Both wit free shipping to you. while the VFD is more expensive than the motor you could use it to also run a belt grinder or other piece of equipment with a 2 hp 1800 rpm motor. The other advantage is that you can control the speed of the motor with the VFD form 1 rpm to 3600 rpm. This might be an advantage on the hammer but definately for a belt grinder. If needed a fwd/rev switch is $35.00.