I Forge Iron

New student

Blackbeard

Hi all! I live in South Africa. Work with metal just about every day. Im a boilermaker by trade.Joined this forum because I am very new to blacksmithing and am hoping to learn all I can about it. There are not many blacksmiths in S.A anymore, the trade seems to have died out. So please be patient if I ask stupid questions--I dont know much!:D
Thanks
Blacky

Blackbeard,
Welcome to IFI.
You have the opportunity to bring the craft of Blacksmithing back to South Africa. I mean that. Of course it depends on you goals and priorities. But it is a thought to consider!
Please feel free to ask questions. We are lucky to have many skilled blacksmiths and knife makers on this site.
Be safe!
Ted

Thanks Ted
Yes its a bit hard for me cuase Im doing this on my own, I dont have an experienced blacksmith around the corner who I could ask "how do I do this"
What I know I learn from books and you guys.And pounding iron. Thanks for the welcome its appreciated.
BB

There is a lot of reference material in the IForgeIron forum, and the forum archives. It is listed according to subject and all the discussion is in one place and can be easily read from beginning to end. There are over 3,300 photos in the IForgeIron Gallery for reference on projects others have done. There are over 450 IForgeIron Blueprints or how-to tutorials on all kinks of tools, jigs, projects, etc that explain how they are made in a step-by-step manner.

You now have IForgeIron and blacksmiths from all over the world that you can present with most any problem and they will try to provide an answer. Choose one problem, and present it with details as to what you have to work with and what you want to accomplish and we will try to assist. Then move on to the next problem.

Welcome to the site.

Hi Glenn
Thank you for the welcome. I have gone through some of the blueprints-awsome! Im sure Ill be asking a lot of questions- there is a lot to learn! This forum is just a goldmine for somebody like me, having all the experienced blacksmiths and metalworkers together in one place. The step by step demos is a great help, Its like Ive gone back to school again!Thanks again.
Bb