I Forge Iron

Railroad Springs

Make a couple test punches and test them after heat treat. The test method we used in heavy metal shop class was to wrap the finished punch in a few layers of denim or other stout cloth with the edge/point only showing and give it a too hard smack with a 3lb. hammer wearing PPE of course. If it didn't mark the mild steel block it wasn't hard enough, if it bent is was a fail, if it shattered it was a fail. The first two failure modes were easily corrected anneal and heat treat again. Shattering was often the end.

I have my eye on a couple LARGE coil springs a near neighbor has laying in his yard. I'm hoping to catch one outside so I can ask about them, they look like great hammer stock.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

Thanks for your expertise! I did not think of testing ...duh

Aw heck. You're welcome, I think I get as much pleasure out of providing the occasional bit of help as anything else I know.

I think there's a thread here somewhere about shop testing found steel, if not I think it'd be a good one to start. after a while you can tell a lot by how it feels, sounds, moves under the hammer but there's nothing like a set of basic tests to tell you what you really need to know. You don't really need to know what the alloy is except in some specific instances. What you really need to know is what's this stuff good for and more importantly, what's it NOT good for?

Frosty The Lucky.

When you say RR springs are you referring to those squiggly shaped things. Heck don't know how to describe them. They are sort of a C shape but with big squiggly humps. Looks like they are made to spring onto something and hold at the points of the C. After straightening a few of these out It seems to me that they could be a nicely hardenable tool steel. I am thinking to use them for tooling anyway. I was poking around and saw some literature on these that suggested they might be about 0.60% Carbon. Can anyone confirm that or is it all over the map based on age. I did not look up the C content of the materials mentioned above. I'm thinking that is the main question here?

I have a railroad coil spring that I would like to make some punches. Does anyone know what steel the spring might be?

Thank you in advance.

Hay Butch it's Trez I have a bunch of them and it is great steel 5160 or better very easy to work with and heat treats excellent. the coil springs I have range from 1/2" to 1 1/2" inch in diameter. I have made hot punches tongs and hardie cut off's.

Borntoolate,

The spring is a large coil spring, but I know what you are talking about. They are track clips, they clip to the bottom of the track to hold it in place. It is certainly hard to forge. But I do not know what tool steel they are.

Butch

When you say RR springs are you referring to those squiggly shaped things. Heck don't know how to describe them. They are sort of a C shape but with big squiggly humps. Looks like they are made to spring onto something and hold at the points of the C. After straightening a few of these out It seems to me that they could be a nicely hardenable tool steel.

I believe that Kerry Stagmer (a member here) uses those clips to make knives or swords.

See:

Yup, those are it. NOtice the power hammer has a little trouble with the far end where the curl has a short radius. Metal was a bit cool... but. I have straightened a few by hand and it is a bit of a workout. Me and oldnrusty did a couple in his shop with him striking. That was better. But still tough.

Interesting the difference between hot and tough and hot and hard... I think... But I haven't really hammered enough stuff yet to know if this makes sense. I did seem like this stuff was really tough to move.