I Forge Iron

Russian Rose + Sepals = Manchurian Rose?

Here's a russian rose made from 1/8" silicon bronze rod.
The bud is less than 1/2" across, the stem is about 5" long - it's going to be used as a hair stick by my daughter.

I crafted sepals for the rose from bronze - I hammered a strip flat, bent it in half (lengthways), opened it, drilled a 1/8" hole in the middle, snipped a leaf shape on either end of the crimped strip and then slipped the hole between the two leafs onto the stem, pushing the leaf pair to the top of the stem. Repeat process for two more leaves and then crimp stem. I then wrapped the stem with some 1/16" bronze wire to keep the leaves from leaving.

We all know what a russian rose is. Real roses have 5 leaves making up the sepal, except for an oddball chinese rose, which has 4 leaves in the sepal. Russian + China = Manchuria (half-way between, kind of), so I call this the Manchurian Rose.
post-9780-0-77470800-1334715996_thumb.jp

Beautiful, The woods behing the Renn faire booth are full on my attempts at "little" pieces. I am just going to admire yours and send them your way when they want one. I really admire anyone who has the patience to execute in the miniature and yours is perfect. I like the Manchurian connection.

I'm a hobby smith - don't ask me to take 2" square stock and make a fence or a gate. I'm learning all of the basic skills, tapering, upsetting, slitting, drifting, punching, scrolling. For most things I find doing it on a small scale is actually harder than doing it at "normal" scale.

My first instructor, however, makes teeny items which inspire me to keep at it.

hey its gorgeous and tiny! tiny is very very cool, i cant seem to make very small things, i have tried many times, i think everyone has a scale that suits them.. small things make me want to start swinging my arms about! i love that rose though, and respect for your persistance with a difficult scale :)

Very well done, beautiful. Small work is harder in many ways than larger pieces. When you're doing something with say 3/8" or 1/2" stock you can make misblows without doing a lot of damage but something that small requires real precision, one misblow can turn it into scrap.

Frosty the Lucky.