I Forge Iron

Venturi Burner

Jonathan Brackett

https://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/page.php?theLocation=/Resources/Product/Forges_and_Parts/Venturi_Burner.xml/

I got one of these for christmas 2011, and so far, still have not found a way to hook it up to my propane tank. I have my forge built, aquired a real anvil and hammers from auctions and am ready to start doing blacksmithing again (I took courses at the Grafton Forge in Vermont) The only thing holding me back is I cannot find a simple way to hook it up. I'm just going to assume I've missed something simple here, and pray I don't have to fire up the lathe and make an adaptor that doesn't seem to exist.

As far as getting support? The place selling it didn't even know how to hook it up... they'd never had any complaints from their customers. The only reason I haven't returned it yet is because the shipping and reshelving fee would cost me almost as much as another unit. Please help... It's too big to be a giant paperweight in my shop.

Well what did your local propane place say when you walked in with it and said "I need to hook this up with a redhat high pressure regulator to my propane tank?"

My place would say "OK, here's the regulator, here's the hose and here's the adapter" and 15 minutes later I would be on my way home.

Of course I live in the USA; could be much more difficult where you live. I also use a propane company that does the whole shebang not one that just fills small tanks on the side. (Propane is cheaper and they are great to have a working relationship with! When my truck broke down there was no problem leaving a bunch of tanks with them till it got fixed) This is here in New Mexico USA; but there was a great one in Columbus OH USA---they even silver soldered over a natural gas orifice and redrilled it for propane for me when I was converting an old 2 burner hotplate.

From the photo, it looks like the burner has a 1/4" flare fitting. Do you know what kind of fitting is coming off your regulator? If your regulator has a rubber hose coming off it, what I have done is to make a flared a copper line so that I had a connector that was female on both ends, then put a flare to NPT adapter on it, and find a barbed hose connector that fits your hose. Just be sure to use enough copper line to keep the rubber away from the heat. I've melted a couple of rubber hoses that way. And be sure to put the caps on the line before you press the flare. If you let me know what fittings you have, I'll try to draw a picture.

I found keeping 1/8" and 1/4" NPT taps and dies really helpful for hooking things up.

Not really sure what your problem is so here are the basics: You will need an adjustable regulator which mounts directly to your propane tank. You will then need a hose, of which one end will connect to the regulator and the other end to the burner. Both the regulator and the hose will be available at any good welding supply.

I would take the burner to the welding supply and let them help select and assemble the kit. The only other thing is mounting the burner to the forge furnace. If you need help there post some pictures.

I'm thinking if you can't figure this out, maybe you should seek professional help. The add says it has a 1/4" flare fitting on the burner. Any heating or gas supply will have adapters so you can plumb a rubber hose to fit. A 0-30 psi regulator will cost you less than the hose.

Do NOT use teflon tape on gas fittings, little bits will plug orifices and such. If you buy the proper fittings no thread treatment is necessary as long as you don't damage them. It's pretty easy to damage brass threads by oh say cross threading them or as commonly over tightening them. You do NOT need to crank on them hard to get a good seal, over tightening will cause leaks that can't be stopped without replacing the fittings. Same for valves in the line and on the tank.

Lastly put a 1/4 turn ball valve between the regulator and the burner so you can turn it off quickly. This isn't so much for safety in case of it burning uncontrolled though this is the case, the real why to use a quick valve is so gas pressure to the burner doesn't fall off gradually during shutdown and cause popping or back fires.

This is a commercial burner, basically a turn key piece of equipment. If you're having trouble figuring it out I think you'll be farther ahead taking a class and asking there. It'll not only save you time but it'll be a lot safer. Please tell us you're using this outside or in an otherwise unused shed away from the house. Never NEVER use a propane device like this in a basement. Propane is heavier than air and will settle downward till it comes to a trap waiting for a spark, say a light switch, to ignite and blow the structure all over the neighborhood.

Frosty the Lucky.