I Forge Iron

100lb hay budden anvil $250?

i have a chance to get a 100lb hay budden anvil for around $250 (its on ebay so the price might go up, but that is including shipping) and i was wondering if it would be a good deal. so far its the best deal on an anvil i have found, but i dont know about the brand or if that is to much for that kind of anvil. plus it has a buy it now of $300+$94 shipping, so around $400, would that be way over priced? and the serial number is #18109, can any one tell me when its made?

i also added the ebay picture

post-25041-0-47636900-1334086282_thumb.j

go for it, the edges could be better but with time you can make a hardy tool with sharp edges to fix that. the face looks in pretty good condition with no dents, to only problem i can see is the the hardy hole looks a little bit roughed up, but that is not uncommon. a file wille fix it right up in no time. hay buddens are considered the cadillac of anvils for a reason.

Made in 1895 according to Anvils in America. I would pass on that anvil even at $2.50 / lb The edges are beat up bad. Someone will probably buy it, but that someone will not be me. ebay is a good place for selling, not always so good for buying

Depends a lot on where you are: $2.50 a pound is high for Ohio and not too bad for NM depending on condition.

Unless it says Local Pickup only the price will probably go up considerably before the end of the auction.

Note that 100 pounds is in the sweet spot for hobby anvils---large enough to use, small enough to transport so they tend to go a bit higher than some larger ones on a per pound basis.

How bad do you want an anvil? It's not a *steal* but it's not a "hang your head in shame" price. I certainly wouldn't go higher though.

The price as it is now is not bad for the far western part of the United States but like Thomas says it's a might high for the eastern part of the US. However it is a nice size to have around the smithy. Two to three dollars a pound including shipping wouldn't be unreasonable. If you want sharp edges you can always make a saddle that will be held in place with a pin that fit in the hardy hole. Here is the eBay listing http://www.ebay.com/...=item19cfa2bf03 for more pictures of the anvil. If no one else bids on it you will do OK but it has a lot more wear than shows in just that one picture.

I bought a 112# H-B a few years back for half that and it was in an antique shop. The seller cried all the way to the cash register but he took my money. Those edges look pretty rough and it's not something you can clean up with a file. I'd keep looking, good luck.

I don't know that it is worth $250 but that depends on who is buying it and what it is worth to them. I will say I can't remember people on this site being all that fussy about the "edges" of an anvil in the past. In fact when I was thinking of researching how to repair the edges of my HB I mentioned it in chat and multiple people told me that those edges could be very useful for different shapes and radius. There are many plans out there (and I'm sure on this site) about making a bridge or saddle that sits across the anvil or in the hardy to use for crisp hard lines.

We have this anviltop.jpg that has edges that might well be worse than that anvil.

I'm with bent on this one. For around $550 you can just get a brand new one and be done with it if edges are that important. There are nice used ones out there, they just take a while to find.