I Forge Iron

My first Axe

well done, are those marks from your pein? if so you may think about dressing the corners and rounding them off, it would stop that sharp edge
Josh

Indeed they are sir, good spot. I've examined the shoulders on the pein in question and one is definitely in need of dressing. Must have missed a stroke at full power and mashed it on the anvil or something. Thanks for pointing that out.

Looks good to me, you did the hard work shaping it, dressing it up with a flatter is the easy part!

Thanks. I have to admit after the 2nd 3 hour session hammering away on this thing I've never wanted a power hammer (or a striker) more. The next one I do will definitely have a mild steel body with a tool steel bit, my hope being I won't have quite as rough a time shaping it.

Indeed they are sir, good spot. I've examined the shoulders on the pein in question and one is definitely in need of dressing. Must have missed a stroke at full power and mashed it on the anvil or something. Thanks for pointing that out.

an angle grinder is the fastest (and if you're good the best) way to do it, i recognise them because i had the same issue when i started, take them down to a radius of about 1/2" - 3/4" radius depending on the lenght of the pein (smaller pein, smaller radius)
Josh