I Forge Iron

what is going on here?

Further to my post some time ago about a hammer I bought, I would like to hear your thoughts about what is going on with the upper die. The photos below show the die, the shoe it sits on, and the key from various angles. The die itself is made from wrought iron with a steel face welded on. The shoe is made from cast steel. The ram is also made from wrought iron. I believe that the configuration is intentional because it is all seems machined and/or cast with a view to achieving that configuration. Whether it was intended for this hammer is another story, but either way, I'm curious as to what the reason is.
My only concern (I will be buying or having made new dies) is that the shoe is necessary to protect the ram, as it is made from a softer material. A sort of mini sow-block. In which case, I will put a shim of fairly thick copper between the new die and the bottom of the dovetail in the ram.
What do you all think?

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0316-1.jpg

I third the above posts.
Owen, have you ever bought or had made dies in the UK?
I've been fishing around for something that might fit. I've been speaking to the people at Little Giant, and am hoping that an LG die might do the trick.
Obviously the shipping will be murder, and the import duties, but even then it will probably work out cheaper than Vaughns or Angele.

Id buy a bit of H13 either have it cut slightly over size from heavy plate (used to be h13.co.uk)
or forge a bit of 1040 (en8) to size .
either way there is a little bit of machining in it but you could do the job with an angle grinder a file and a good eye ...

you can buy EN8 plate flame cut to near size from most profile suppliers. Get it stress relieved so you can mill it easy enough (or draw file it, or angle grind it!) Then get the face flame hardened.

lots of 'better' steels out there, but depends how good you need it really :D