I Forge Iron

Door knocker

SoCal Dave

I've been fooling around with horseshoes making hat racks with cow heads and horse heads. I liked the cow heads and decided to make a door knocker. The only problem is that the first attempt I made the cow's head with 1/2" square bar and it needed a draft horse shoe. It's a little to big for the average door. My next attempt will be a smaller version. I like the fact that the striker plate is the bottom of the shoe.

post-7487-0-09715600-1333485738_thumb.jp

I like the look. I'm working on a horse shoe door knocker myself so I may be partial. Does it slide side to side on the hinge rod? My knocker broke while peening and the repair. I'm considering uses a simular design but I considered side to side play to be undesirable personally. I have some ideas how you may have avoided the problem but would be very interested to know how you approached it. I'm glad you shared. ^_^

I positioned the cows head in the middle of the rod. On the back side of the rod, I tac welded just a little drop of welding rod, like a bump, on both sides of the head to keep the head from sliding left or right. I used a tig welder and practiced a few times on a similar size rod first. I got the drops of welding rod as close as possible to the cows head without touch it. There is about a 1/4" of play on each side. I placed the bump on the back side so you won't be able to see it when it's on a door. I can take a picture of it tomorrow and post it for you if needed. Good luck with yours and please post a picture of your door knocker.

Female-Blacksmith: I will leave the door attachment issues to the buyer of the door knocker. There are to many types of doors to provide one solution. Of course, I would help the person customize it to their specific door and the look they are after.