I Forge Iron

Photos of the Opening of Williamsburg's New Blacksmith Shop/Armoury

It was great to see Ken all dressed up in his ascot and green morning coat for the celebration. Peter Ross and Shel Browder were in attendance. I took a bunch of photos of the nice clean shop (that won't last) and have posted them on Photobucket. Enjoy.

Here's the link to the photos. For whatever reason, it opens on page 2 of the photos. There are 60 in total. Be sure and check pages 1 and 2 out:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v37/farmall/Williamsburg%20Grand%20Opening/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ36

Absolutely fantastic! I really need to come and visit that town one day.

Can tourists purchase hand-forged wares from the shop? I'd love to get a felling axe from the Williamsburg Smithy even if I just made it a wall-hanger!

Short answer is yes....but there's more.....I have purchased both a carpenter's axe and a wheeler's axe from them. I will get a felling axe next. The process can be slow. Basically, you get with the master of the shop, Ken Schwarz, and speak with hm about what you want. A price is established, and if you wish to proceed, then you will be added to the list. When they have time where they are not making things for Colonial Williamsurg like hinges, nails, locks, etc., they will work on your piece. It took me around a year or so to get the axes I have. I got my wheeler's axe when they were making them for the wheelwrights and the carpenter's axe, when the carpenters needed some. I was fortunate in that Shel Browder was still working there and made my wheeler's axe. Not that any of them do poor quality work, it's just that I wanted a piece that Shel made, and the luck of the draw gave me one. So, to answer your question, if you have patience, then, yes, you can get stuff from them.

A few of the smiths there will take custom orders that they will make in there privet home shops on there off days. The item would not be forged in the Anderson Shop, but it would be hand made by the smiths that work in the shop. I would be glad to put you in contact with some of them if you like. They are all stand up people.