I Forge Iron

Charleston, South Carolina

Most of the older historic churches have the best work in town. Sadly most of the Ironwork in Charleston is pretty beat up and badly preserved. Its pretty hard here to convince people that ironwork needs to be cleaned well and repainted every year. So most of it has thick flaking paint, but never the less there is some beautiful work here. The most technical and in my opinion best ironwork here is English work that was shipped over to the churches when they were built in the late 1700 to mid 1800s.

Some work worth finding is

Saint John's Lutheran Church, 5 Archdale St -Great front gates
Saint Michale's Church, 84 Meeting St - Beautiful Alter rail inside the church, great condition
Saint Philips Church, 142 Church St - Wonderful large gates

There is lots of other good work around the historic side of town. These three are just my favorite work around town. I have lived here for the past four years, I am a student at The American College of the Building Arts. I will just be installing an iron window grill in the 1800s city jail that week. Your welcome to come by and see that ironwork too. And there's a little bit of historical ironwork on the jail worth seeing. The 1800s Jail is our school building. Feel free to ask my any questions and ill try to point you in the right direction about this wonderful city.

Mackenzie

Thanks for the information on Charleston, SC. I will definitely try to stop by the jail to see the iron window grill. It does appear that the Philip Simmons website is not being maintained. It is sad to hear about the lack of maintenance of the iron works. I understand there is a lot of blacksmith works throughout Charleston and I am looking forward to see them. David

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave, I hope you take thirty minutes to go visit the Simmons shop. You will find the people there to be very nice and telling a little different story than some you may have read about Mr Simmons. Also take a good book on Charleston iron work to help guide you, it will save lots of time. There are a few available at the market and the shop. I don't know where you are staying but be mindful that parking is almost non existent in the historic district. Beyond the parking issue everything will be very enjoyable for you. Have fun! Chuck