I Forge Iron

Suggestion needed for utility trailer bed liner

Grundsau

We have a 5x8 utility trailer that gets used for hauling mulch, wood chips, etc at times.
It has angle iron rails and the floor has gaps between the PT wood boards.

I thought about a 1/2" x5'x8' sheet of ply with four removable sides to make storage easier when the liner is not needed.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to use?
I'd rather not add a lot of weight to the trailer so the lighter the better.
An aluminum drop in liner would probably be expensive and couldn't locate a plastic pickup truck style liner.

Truck bed liners pop up on Craigslist all the time, but I don't think one would fit very well for you.

If you rework the floor you can make the boards tight together and probably only add a board or two to the weight of the floor, reusing most of your existing good flooring. The plywood sides are tried and true. If you can use or make pockets in the rail for 2x4 so you can extend the sides up as you need.

Phil

keep an eye out for used rubber stall mats
i was lucky last year and picked up about 30 of them at a barn/house Yankee auction
i think you should be able to pick one up for around 45bucks or so
and they are fantastic for liners i have ones that are a inch thick and slightly pebbled texture wise
this winter i drove the truck around with a 400lb slab of granite in the back of it and it did not shift at all

i guess i miss understood what you were looking for and thought you did not want a slick base if thats what you want there is are fantastic products for lining dump bodies and manure spreaders its a 1/4 inch thick polyethylene liner they are very rugged but i dont know how well they would hold up to having scrap metal in the they work well for rock and manure and mulch though and you can just attach them along the front edge of the trailer so they are not that hard to swap out if needed