I Forge Iron

Metalurgy of old Lennox files

jmccustomknives

I have gotten asked in the past for knives made from files. I finally got around to buying a mixed lot of old files. The first one I worked was an old Lennox file marked "for stainless". I heated to non magnetic, quenced in my version of "Goddards Goop" tempered at 400f. It wouldn't get sharp. I dropped it on its tip, it left a divot with the very end of the tip being left in the concrete. Thinking I made a mistake I annealed it and repeated the process this time quenching in oil and tempered at 375F with the same results. It acts like 1070, what edge it takes it looses with little effort. I forged a blade from a large Lennox file that wasn't marked "for stainless", it took a better edge but I haven't finished testing it yet. I've had good results from Nicolson files, they make excellent knives. I just took one I made from a Simmonds out of temper, it warped so I'll have to take it back down and redo it. Anyway, has any of you guy ever had experiance with Lennox files? If so, what results compaired with Nicolson?

Simonds files are about the best you can buy, for my money. They cut better and last longer than Nicholsons. Don't care where they're made: they're great tools.

No idea about Lennoxes. You might try a more aggressive quenchant. Goop is relatively slow, and files tend to be made from shallow-hardening steels that want a fast quenchant. (The steel Nicholson is using nowadays is basically 1095 with a dash of chromium.)

I've got a few of the original "black diamonds". I did a simmonds and it did seem to get harder than the lennox but for some reason (I know why but ain't admitting it) the blade warped during heat treat. I'll have to straiten it out and try again. I could have sworn though, the simmonds had "made in the usa" stamped on it.

Update: The Lenox file that was giving me trouble. I heated it back up and quenched it in water, which is something I never do. It seems to have gotten harder. I haven't finished testing yet. I don't know about the Simmonds, but as for the Nicholson files; we sell them and the half round bastards are made in Brazil and the mill files are made in the USA.