I Forge Iron

strange anvil

In the Anvil book it looks similar to the Alsop Anvil (pg 14) It doesn't have the step (or table its called in the book) and there is mention of a very old type called a Moses anvil and Spanish anvils that look real similar but those have a 5th toe sticking out of the side (pg 12).

Interesting find none the less

cool! i love learning about anvils, i need to get a copy of AIA... mu guess of arourers' anvil was because it liiks alot like a "church windows" anvil that, from what iv read, was used for making armor.... prices here average $2.50-$4/lb depending on shape

It certainly might have been used to make armor though the age of armor was pretty well past by the time this style began to appear. I like the look of it! This style clearly was an ancestor to the more recent London pattern anvils. It would present a nice look for a colonial era reenactor.

Standard colonial anvil looking not at all like an armourer's anvil.

And BTW the "church windows used for armourmaking is rather a conjecture that doesn't hold up under strong scrutiny if you look at the engravings and paintings we have of real armourer's shops.