I Forge Iron

New Anvil?

I've spent the last year trying to locate an anvil within 2 hours drive to no avail. The only ones I've found are in rough shape, at a dealer 4 hours away, and he wants $4 to $6 a pound for them. I have found one 80# Fisher that is good but for the price I can get a new TFS 100# or for $75 more I can get a new Anvil Brand Legend 120#. Everyone on here always says buy a used on but they are rare as common sense in the legislature in this area. So, which would you choose of the three?

There's a guy in Louisville that's selling his entire blacksmith/bladesmith shop. He's listed on craigslist and might be interested in parting out what he's got. That could be a great find for you as a lot of those tools would be handy to have!

Personally, I'd hold out on the anvils you mentioned. The Anvil Brand looks decent, but I don't know enough about them to say. Generally speaking, a farrier's anvil is not good for general blacksmithing on because it has so little mass under the hammer because of the wasp-waist design. They ring like a bell, too, which is annoying.

The Fisher anvil would be a good anvil for light duty work. If it's in great shape, it might be worth the money because a small anvil is great for traveling or making small things on. Don't think you'll be working 1" stock on the thing, but knives and hooks are good to go. Fisher anvils are also very very quiet.

http://louisville.cr...2911437339.html

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/26647-whole-blacksmith-shop-with-ph-for-6000-on-louisville-craigs/

Fiery Furnace Forge posted this earlier that the owner did not want to part it out. But Dave made the offer that if there was someone that would be interested in splitting it to let him know.

Think about putting a classified ad in the newspaper, maybe Cairo, IL and Carbondale, IL, as well. You might even consider Cape Girardeau. Get your name and address to your local farm auctioneers. They put out hard copy Sale Bills listing what is coming up for sale. Nowadays, the Sale Bill is often posted on the auctioneers' websites. Tell all your friends and relatives that you're looking for an anvil. If you go to an auction, learn the jargon. When he hollers "Now 50" he doesn't mean he has $50; it means he's asking for a $50 bid.