I Forge Iron

wire brush mystery

jayco

I've got a question: Those lowly wire brushes that we all use and take for granted; I always thought they were a fairly modern invention.Maybe not.?I know that maybe 500 years ago,there was no factory made wire to make brushes with. So,how did medeval smiths remove scale from their work? I'm just curious .anyone have any info?

Maybe, but I've seen brushes for scale removal and BRUSHES for scale removal. One of the best are not so much wire as lots of little strips of steel on a rectangular brush. Those strike me as being easily somthing that could have been made back then, although the cost of steel would have made them expensive.
just a thought.

A lot of finished work was filed - especially anything used in the house or in the hand, since texture was a bad thing 200 years ago. Horseshoes and other rough work was left as forged.

I was recently fortunate enough to hold a set of log tongs that were made in at least 1850 - this date furnished by the owner whose great grandfather supposedly was the first owner (and he is nearly 80). All surfaces are smooth and although a couple of forge welds are evident, most of the piece is cleanly filed - especially the box joint, which is as tight as the day it was made, a testimony to the skill of the smith. The piece was uniformly brown -almost to the point of black, similar to an old gun that has been handled extensively but well cared for.

... One of the best are not so much wire as lots of little strips of steel on a rectangular brush. Those strike me as being easily somthing that could have been made back then, ...

That's what I thought about when I read this post too. I saw a brush like that a few weeks back, and instantly it made me think of the little steel tines that get left behind from large industrial street cleaning machines here in the US. Every once in a while I pick those up when I see them, and throw them in a jar at home. I always figured I'd find some use for them eventually...

That's what I thought about when I read this post too. I saw a brush like that a few weeks back, and instantly it made me think of the little steel tines that get left behind from large industrial street cleaning machines here in the US. Every once in a while I pick those up when I see them, and throw them in a jar at home. I always figured I'd find some use for them eventually...

Canned Damascus. Or I hear they make GREAT lockpicks!

The brushes with the flat bristles that work so well for taking off scale are actually made for cleaning fat from butchers blocks.

Hmm, good to know. I wish they made wire wheels with the little flat bar peices for an angle grinder, as they seem they would outlast a regular wire wheel, and do much more work.

... I hear they make GREAT lockpicks!

They do! I haven't played around with them like that for years though. When I was a teenager my friend and I made a set from them. They worked great. I used to carry them around in my wallet with me till I realized that police would probably frown on it.