I Forge Iron

ancient sodering?!?

now i either watched or read this a long time ago, but i remember hearing about it (hearing also means reading because i cant remember if it was on history channel or one of the 15 blacksmith books at the library) but what it consisted of was:
the foundry workers heated a metal (lets say bronze for the fun on it) where it was molten in an ancient crucible,
they then had what ever they were sodering together laid out in a slight overlap, they poured a bead of it on the item, flipped it over and then did another bead.
my question is: has anyone ever heard of this before and if so, do YOU remember where you saw it?

i need it for an english report im doing on what im gonna be when i grow up, and i thought itd be somthing neat for the 2 paragraph history section of welding/sodering/brazing paper.

(yes gents! im going to be a welder when i grow up!)

Why wait? Contact Lincoln Electric, Miller, Hobart and others and read the reference material on their sites. The each hold classes, so attend the classes. The local Vo-Tech school may have welding classes, some with a cert test at the end of the class. Contact your welding supplier to see what information he can provide.

Your described method doesn't sound right. You can forge-braze if the iron or steel is red hot and normally fluxed with borax. The solder could be copper, brass, or silver solder. If all is clean, a small bit of the solder will melt and run between the contacted, red hot surfaces by capillary attraction.

An old timey book, but a good book, is "Soft Soldering, Hard Soldering, and Brazing" by James F. Hobart. I have the 2nd printing, 1919. Perhaps you could obtain it from bookfinders.com or an inter-library loan.