I Forge Iron

First Coal Forge With Air System

Anhanguera

So im starting in blacksmithing then i build up a clay firepot wich does not worked yet, then i go for the easy alternative wich is use a old grill and some leftover bricks that i have for the last construction at my place, then i've put it all together and used a hairdryer with a plastic sewer pipe(I know it can melt but it was on hand and i think for now it works), now to work at my forge im saving for a 55.1 pound anvil wich costs here (Brazil) around $170(U.S. Dollar). Heres some pictures(before assembled and with a small test fire) hope you enjoy and comment.(when i take pics i really take pics, hope you dont mind of the number of then lol)

post-24230-0-67454400-1330185042_thumb.j

post-24230-0-09752900-1330185093_thumb.j

post-24230-0-32753100-1330185136_thumb.j

post-24230-0-38979800-1330185176_thumb.j

post-24230-0-43777000-1330185232_thumb.j

post-24230-0-30033500-1330185267_thumb.j

post-24230-0-26670800-1330185294_thumb.j

If it heats your piece than it works, my only suggestion or at least from the little i have seen when building/using my own forge is that you should get a metal pipe that you can allow your air to flow into the fire and not just on it. I think that this would help you reach higher temperature otherwise i mean work with what you have.

Tim
This was from my very little useful knowledge i hope it helps

If you take this and make a nice charcoal fire in it, it should work. Also, metal pipe is a definate must. On top of the forge you could put a large half-stump, which would give extra heat and reflect it down. All in all, good design though! a 22 pound anvil will work, but is not ideal. If it costs less and helps you though, I say go for it. You can always save up for the heavier one later!

If you take this and make a nice charcoal fire in it, it should work. Also, metal pipe is a definate must. On top of the forge you could put a large half-stump, which would give extra heat and reflect it down. All in all, good design though! a 22 pound anvil will work, but is not ideal. If it costs less and helps you though, I say go for it. You can always save up for the heavier one later!

when i get it improved ill post more pics, im thanked for your tips. I'll try something with the half stump.I agree about the metal pipe and im looking for it. And about the anvil i've can manage to buy a 50 pound one for $160, but only about March 20th , lol. This extra heat and reflection will really enhance the perfomance? Didn't noticed it before.

Well, the stump (or even just a log or several) will definately make the fire hotter, but they also will help maintain the fire if you need to walk away for a moment or two. It really has helped me, I use basically the same set up, only mine is less fancy than yours. I use some bricks and a pair of cheap fireplace bellows. It really does make a difference having the log there. It prevents the fire from going out and it periodically drops new charcoal onto the hearth.

As to the anvil, Definately go with the bigger one if it is a good anvil with a steel face that is mostly unmarked. I'm glad I can be of some help!

Well, the stump (or even just a log or several) will definately make the fire hotter, but they also will help maintain the fire if you need to walk away for a moment or two. It really has helped me, I use basically the same set up, only mine is less fancy than yours. I use some bricks and a pair of cheap fireplace bellows. It really does make a difference having the log there. It prevents the fire from going out and it periodically drops new charcoal onto the hearth.

As to the anvil, Definately go with the bigger one if it is a good anvil with a steel face that is mostly unmarked. I'm glad I can be of some help!

I have a log here but its to big to put in the fire need to be cut and i don't have a axe(yet hahaha), a concrete round plate work to reflect?

about the anvil is a brand new exactly 55 pound(25kg) wich holes, horn and a flat face , for now its the best i can acquire, i just need hold more 20 days ,lol

I wouldn't advise a concrete plate, just go with the coal fire then. It'll still work very well. I am personally a big fan of using a coal/charcoal mixture. I find the heat output is better. That anvil sounds like a good one! It'll serve you well for years to come!
sorry, i misunderstood what you've said, i've some short wood here , i plan use it on the fire as you said, the concrete plate i mean on the top of the forge like roof

That should work fine, so long as the smoke can get out. I'd love to see a picture of how you got it all set up!

i will upload some photos , im having troubles to find someone to saw the metal pipe as long i don't have any tools for that, this morning i've looked for some workshops arround my place but they're all closed , hehehe.

For charcoal that blower puts out way too much air! When I have to make use of such a system I don't attach the blower to the pipe but have a gap between them so I can aim the blower only slightly down the pipe and adjust it as needed to get the fire I want.

Using charcoal you want a deep fire so turn the blocks on their narrow long sides to make a deeper trough say 10-15 cm apart and pile it full of charcoal by making the walls parallel with out a side area that does not get air from the blower you will get greater efficiency of fuel use.

You might think about building a bellows---I've don it for about US$1 before using scrap lumber, hinges and a rubberized material they make awnings from for the "leathers". Works quite well for charcoal, not as well for coal.

As for anvil size---on the net there is a picture of a smith in Nepal? forging knives using a sledgehammer head as his anvil---set in a stump and doing great work with it!

For charcoal that blower puts out way too much air! When I have to make use of such a system I don't attach the blower to the pipe but have a gap between them so I can aim the blower only slightly down the pipe and adjust it as needed to get the fire I want. Using charcoal you want a deep fire so turn the blocks on their narrow long sides to make a deeper trough say 10-15 cm apart and pile it full of charcoal by making the walls parallel with out a side area that does not get air from the blower you will get greater efficiency of fuel use. You might think about building a bellows---I've don it for about US$1 before using scrap lumber, hinges and a rubberized material they make awnings from for the "leathers". Works quite well for charcoal, not as well for coal. As for anvil size---on the net there is a picture of a smith in Nepal? forging knives using a sledgehammer head as his anvil---set in a stump and doing great work with it!

Hei Thomas thx for the tips, About the pipe i've fixed the metal one with plastic and changed the forge design a little. I dont get clearly what ou said about the bricks, and i would really apreciate if you show me that bellow and tell me how you done then. Im solving the anvil issue. Tomorrow i'll upload here some new pics.

Rebar is pretty much a mystery metal, but it works for good practice metal. There can be a considerable amount of fluctuation in the actual carbon content of the piece, but I say go for it as a start. You'll always be able to find a way to use it! A blacksmith is resourceful!
i want to make some tongs , it be usefull for it? hei i grabed a piece of iron and tried to test it at the upgraded forge, the fire isn't the better but for a start i managed do to some things, Note: never worked before with smithing. How do i put images here???

Rebar will be fine for tongs. In fact, once I get around to it I'll be making tongs out of rebar too. I've got a bunch laying around.

Well, you may have to adjust the fire and make small changes, but I think it should work. It sounds like you've got a good forge! I had never worked with metal until I started smithing a about half a year ago. I use a campfire and railroad track anvil, it works for me to learn on.

As to putting pictures up, you need to add them as an attachment on the post. If you want to put them on a reply, click the "more reply options" button right next to the "post" button at the bottom of the post. Then scroll down and it'll say "add attachments"
You can upload them and then add them to the post.

I hope that makes sense!

I think nails will do fine. You can bend some long nails over the feet to secure it, or just leave them straight if you want to move the anvil easily. Happy hammering!

I've thought nails too, well first i need a anvil hahaha, in 19 days i'll get one. Do you have any tip about the rebar thickness ? I'll do tongs ,and for hammers wich material is better i mean about the carbon quantity in it.