I Forge Iron

First Coal Forge With Air System

Anhanguera

Well, as to the thickness, it depends on your work. If you'll be using them for some really heavy work (tool making and such) I'd go with at least 1/2 inch thickness. For some small work tongs, I see no reason why 5/16 inch or 1/4 inch shouldn't work.
Carbon content doesn't matter a whole lot in tongs, as long as they don't get very brittle when quenching.

Well, as to the thickness, it depends on your work. If you'll be using them for some really heavy work (tool making and such) I'd go with at least 1/2 inch thickness. For some small work tongs, I see no reason why 5/16 inch or 1/4 inch shouldn't work. Carbon content doesn't matter a whole lot in tongs, as long as they don't get very brittle when quenching.

got it, and about hammer making, any advice ?

For hammers I would either get some tool steel or weld up some pieces of rebar with a carbon steel plate welded on the front. In hammers the hardness does matter, so it really needs a carbon steel or tool steel face. Definately post pictures of your tongs once you've made them!

For hammers I would either get some tool steel or weld up some pieces of rebar with a carbon steel plate welded on the front. In hammers the hardness does matter, so it really needs a carbon steel or tool steel face. Definately post pictures of your tongs once you've made them!

got it, im reading some books about blacksmithing, so it will take some time for me to make the tongs but when they're done i'll post it here.

I learned first by reading. There are a lot of good books and websites out there. That is a good resource for tongs and other tools. Definately get and read all the books you can. But more important than reading is doing. I like to say I used to know how to blacksmith in theory, but now I know how to do it in practice.