I Forge Iron

Anvil ID

post-24311-0-85522000-1329649718_thumb.jpost-24311-0-61607700-1329649849_thumb.jpost-24311-0-47604600-1329649936_thumb.j
Hey Guys,
I've been given an anvil from a friend of mine and can't find any info on the maker. So, I was hoping some of you may have some ideas.
The anvil was pretty rusty so I gave it a going over with a wire brush. The name (looks like) Ash and Son are stamped on the side, below this the number 918(not sure if this is supposed to be 1918), also on both front feet there is the number 8. I know very little about anvils,is this any good and how would you class the condition?

Thanks in advance,
Chuck.

I'm going to have to post a picture of my anvil, I just bought it from my uncle for $40.00. From what he thinks its from around 1910 but I cant make out the makers mark on it. Its got a really nice tool steel plate in top. The only problem is . . . the base is broken off so I have to sand blast it and get it welded up or maybe use some panel bonding adhesive its got a 10,000 psi sheer strength rating so I think it might hold up.

That is one pristine anvil! Make sure you buy your friend a case of his favorite beverage, and show up the next time he needs a favor!!!

No idea on the age, but if you can pick it up you know the 918 on the side isn't in stone weight or straight pounds. Probably the year of manufacture, as you surmised. Generally, a fellow in good shape can lift 240 pounds with effort, so you know the anvil probably isn't heavier than that depending on your strength.

Perhaps the "team" who forged it?

Metal99 Several of the US brands went to arc welding the waist towards the end. I've seen several where the welds were not dressed tool but as I used to live in Columbus OH which had *2* anvil manufacturers in it they might have been "lunch box specials"

I have the base from a PW (according to Postman) where it's weight stamped as a full anvil but the top broke off and was separated. It's on my wall of shame collection of badly abused anvils.

Perhaps the "team" who forged it? Metal99 Several of the US brands went to arc welding the waist towards the end. I've seen several where the welds were not dressed tool but as I used to live in Columbus OH which had *2* anvil manufacturers in it they might have been "lunch box specials" I have the base from a PW (according to Postman) where it's weight stamped as a full anvil but the top broke off and was separated. It's on my wall of shame collection of badly abused anvils.

Thats pretty interesting to know. There are some remains of old ark welds right where it broke.