I Forge Iron

Scary Mc AKA Gary McD

Scary Mc

Morning folks, I'm new to blacksmithing and look forward to gleaning some of the accumulated knowledge of the board. I was recently laid off from my position as a backcountry ranger for the BLM and am now back in school getting my associates in welding while I wait for my old job to get funded again. If it doesn't I've got welding to fall back on.
I became interested in smithing a few years ago while in Buena Vista CO and watching a smith in his shop. I then ran into a smith shop in rural Kenya with a HUGE coal forge and that further concreted my interest.

I look forward to reading and learning!

Take it easy- Gary

I guess I won't see you at the SWABA Conference in Las Cruces NM this weekend; but Welcome anyway! Welding is a great adjunct trade to smithing providing a more steady cash flow and allowing you to make most all your tools.

My position runs out the end of the year so I'm sweating a new job too.

Hey Gary.
Welcome to IFI. Glad to have you here, sad you lost your job. One door closes and another one opens. Every cloud has....... Well you get my drift. We look forward to seeing your progress (in pictures). Every Tuesday at 10pm eastern time there are blue prints (BP's) posted in the chat room. Just join on in.

Mark <><