I Forge Iron

first knife + Questions

AJAX

hey, i just finished my first knife this weekend. found out i like forging. i made this knife in a propane forge, but i want to try to make my own charcoal/coal forge. i was just wondering if you guys could tell me any of the major differences between the two and the pro's and con's. let me know what you think.

post-23181-0-76795000-1329270058_thumb.j

post-23181-0-83554900-1329270091_thumb.j

post-23181-0-81050000-1329270124_thumb.j

Nice job on your first knife!
The Pros and cons of both coal and propane forges have been discuss in length in the forges section on this site. Check it out and give it a read through. I'm sure you will find the answers you are looking for. Welcome to your new addiction and welcome to IFI!!

what kind of steel did you use. how long did it take you, finishing process, etc. this is knife section not forge section, tell us about your blade, and how in one month, going from nothing to a forge anvil and first finished blade, we like details and pics

what kind of steel did you use. how long did it take you, finishing process, etc. this is knife section not forge section, tell us about your blade, and how in one month, going from nothing to a forge anvil and first finished blade, we like details and pics

1. it took me about 5-6 hours
2. i am aware that this is the knife section, just thought i would ask a few questions in the post because i didn't want to start two separate forum topics
3. I went from nothing to a forged knife in one month because i wanted to and i have determination, plus i convinced a local smith to help me start
4. i have no idea what kind of steel it is, but i must have done something right because it can shave my arm

Nice start! If that's chrome tanned leather that you used for the sheath (it looks chrome tanned to me), be aware that it can promote rust. Not that it always will cause rust, but it can.

Are you asking about the differences between solid fuel and propane, or are you asking about the differences between coal and charcoal?

Boy this knife sure caught my eye Mompy. It is really nicely done and not just for a first knfe. A lot of folks spend litterally a year or even more work at the anvil before completely anything this nice. Even a little thing like the end scroll takes some folks quite a while to master. I have had a lot of students learning to forge with me that Simply couild not have done that for quite a while as they learned body mechanics, heat control, eye hand coordination and all of the total package it takes. So glad it sharpened up so nice. But I can sharpen a piece of mild steel to shave, it just will not do it for long..lol
Keep up th egood work and let the man that helped youlearn know how much he realy got you going in the right direction.