I Forge Iron

What Now

macbruce

Working in the shop today, happy as a bird, I noticed a sharp pain in my ankle. I's happened before and usually passes.......Today it didn't pass and nearly brought me to my knees with sharp, intense pain and I haven't sustained any injuries there recently or in the past......Could this be gout? Could it be from my concrete floor? If it keeps up I'll have to see the doc.....:-(

if it feels like its broken, it may be the gout. Shrimp n drinkin, or foods high in purine can bring it on. The remedy is pronounced
kol-che-scene. its to bad that some drug company took the task of trials, it used to be $10 now its a hundred, its been used for a few hundred years so it was grandfathered in when the FDA was first started,so now they are getting around to "investigating" the use. the name now is colcris

A visit to the saw bones is in order just to be sure what it is, but if it is gout (which I have dealt with for over 30 years) there's a home remedy that can help enormously. You can google gout for descriptions of symptoms and causes ... you'll get over a millions hits ... there are several drugs that doc's prescribe to help with cleaning out your blood system and most of them work. The cheapest and one of the easiest fixes is black cherry juice. Health food stores usually have it in stock as a concentrate ... follow the directions for usage EXACTLY ... an "overdose" will give you the "Rocky Mountain Quickstep". Or many grocery stores carry "Just Black Cherry" juice made by R. W. Knudson ... drink a whole bottle of that (32 ounces) over a 12 hour period and you should get relief ... but go see a doctor first.

You wouldn't ask a doctor for advice on tempering a chisel, why would you ask blacksmiths for medical advice. Intense pain is an indication that something is drastically wrong. Seek medical attention immediately.

Thanks for your concern Woody. The pain was gone completely the next day and hasn't returned, perhaps due to the black cherry juice so I'm gonna keep an eye on it for now. Usually it's just one of those little aches and pains except for the other day. I don't think a pain in the ankle is going to put me in any real danger so I'm gonna wait and see for now , Thanks all....Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

No more issues with my ankle, the black cherry juice seems to have helped............I was thinking maybe some low impact excersize would be a good thing so I went to our local swimming pool to swim laps monday which I have never done before.......Half hour of laps no big deal, right? Well It felt pretty good all in all and I left the pool feeling great.
I've always heard that swimming is a great exersize cause it works nearly every muscle in your body. I know this is a fact now cause every muscle in my bod is screaming in agony, ''you old fool !!'' I was gonna go back to the pool today but I think Fri would be wiser.....for 20 min..... :mellow:

Ah, the dreaded gout! it has bothered me on and off for many a year what I have done is buy watchstraps with a brass buckles(I don't go for the copper bangle look) if I see a hint of green on my skin I know my acidity is on the up and I then take a glass of citrosoda and touch wood no, hastles over the last few years.
Ian