I Forge Iron

Build or Buy ... Small gas Forge

mfm22

I'm a bit torn on this . I've seen a few DIY can forges & brick forges . I think one in particular [Paint can] Looks easy enough and seems to work well .Pretty cool making your own things

The you tube was well done .And it would be good for me to start small -shop size limits and time constraints

But on the other hand I've looked into some commercially made units .
They are well made but not sure how much better they willl work ...Chili-Tobasco & NCforge baby or mama . They would be reassuring to use as they are proven and have waranties and spare parts etc .
Help feel free to chime in .. I know there are many who faced the same dilemna

Yes money is an issue but so is saftey & sanity

If you are that torn on the subject then please buy one and get to hammering. I have built all of my forges but was not fearful about construction so it was an easier decision for me. They can be relatively easy to make but you'll need enough mechanical aptitude to do it with confidence.

I agree. But at the same time it sure is nice to have one you made. For me it is all part of the fun. Here is a picture of one I built not to long ago. There are things I would do different now but over all it has worked well. Most of my changes would raise the investment total. Total cost was about 35 bucks. Its a 20# propane tank. The cut off top became the foot and I opened a back door for passing long stock. I sort of came up with it on the fly with what I had. The burner is homemade as well. If that is what troubles you just buy the burner. It is a pretty simple setup. I would also look into a brick setup. Even easier.post-23649-0-36882700-1328587197_thumb.jpost-23649-0-34073700-1328587275_thumb.j

check into diamondback iron works economy line of forges. fire up right out of the box. you can get a one or a two burner for under $400 plus about $45 shipping.
i think the one burner is about $250-$275. gives you a good quick way to get started then when time and shop space are better you can build one more to your liking.
i have been using the 2 burner blacksmiths model and have only been running at 5 psi and i get 5/8" stock up to nice yellow forging heat in no time.

I've got reasonable skills ..do woodworking and make lures on a lathe .. .. I'm probably going make the paint can version ..too cool not to try it
I guess I was looking to see if someone had a strong opinion favoring the factory made forges

Split the difference! Both of my gas forges were made as part of an ABANA Affiliate "build a gas forge" workshop.
One Saturday's work and everyone attending had their own tested design forge.

Since I don't know if you are even in the USA I can't speak on costs compared to having a commercially built forge shipped but the workshops were *cheap* when I did them! (have you thought of editing your profile to give your generally location just in case someone can say---"we're doing such a workshop next week about 30 miles for you!"

Why not do a combination of both? Seems like a lot of burners just don't get hot enough. So I bought my burner from Steve Genshiemer, one of the hottest out there and superbly made and then made the forge from a freon can with dura blanket and fire bricks. So I have the parts done that was easy for me and got the tough part well done by someone who has the right equipment to do it right.

post-1310-0-23805000-1328632585_thumb.jp

check into diamondback iron works economy line of forges. fire up right out of the box. you can get a one or a two burner for under $400 plus about $45 shipping.
i think the one burner is about $250-$275. gives you a good quick way to get started then when time and shop space are better you can build one more to your liking.
i have been using the 2 burner blacksmiths model and have only been running at 5 psi and i get 5/8" stock up to nice yellow forging heat in no time.
Ditto. I'm really impressed with the 2 burner blade smith forge.