I Forge Iron

North Carolina

Rob Sitze

Hello from Sanford, I've never done any blacksmithing but I have done welding and fabricating. I'm signed up to take a blacksmithing class at John C Cambell fold school this fall and just researching what I'll need to get started at home. Mostly I do wood working, especially bowl and hollow form turning, blacksmithing is just something I've always wanted to try.

Hey rob,

Welcome to IFI. I'm about 3 hrs east of you in Durants neck. There are several blacksmiths in NC, one fairly near you in Durham. Depends on your idea of near I guess. Since IFI has active members from all over the world we are neighbors. Good idea on taking the class. If there are any other blacksmiths close enough to you, you should seek them out. They will probably find you on here though. Good luck and don't forget to post pictures of your progress.

Mark <><

Thanks Mark, right now I'm just trying to figure out where I'm going to start setting up. I'm thinking an outside forge off of my shed, build a couple walls and a roof off of it. I have a friend that has done some farrier work, and has an old forge that he's giving me that needs re-conditioned. My dad has a crank type bellows. I'll probably be anvil shopping soon.

Welcome, welcome! Wood working is pretty impressive, it'll come in handy if you want to make yourself knives and their handles.
Your plan for you forge set-up sounds pretty nice. Also, do check out the local blacksmithing organizations near you. Sounds like you're on the right track!

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI!! Here is the link for the ABANA group in NC, NCABANA.ORG You should be able to find meeting dates and locations from there. Most groups meet every month on a particular Sat so getting to a meeting should not be a problem. Good to have ya, enjoy your journey. BTW, we like pictures, yes even pics of wooden objects, so please post if have some you'd like to share.

Just got back from you website you have posted in your profile....nice work! really like the piece with the turquoise inlay.

Rob - Welcome to the craft. I live just north of Pittsboro so we are practically neighbors. Drop me a personal mail if you would like to connect. I first started forging to make woodworking tools myself but went over to the dark side completely once I got started.

Cheers,
Doug

Mike, it's this one. https://www.folkschool.org/index.php?section=class_detail&class_id=5874

It's costly, but it's our vacation and we figured we would spend that much just visiting some place, and we like it up there. We both really enjoyed the last time we were up there.

• 4 weeks later...

Rob, You will love the John C. Campbell Folk School. Work there whenever the shop is open to students meaning into the evening hours. Some instructors are not willing to be there late, so check with them before registering.
The week goes by fast. Get your fire started early and be ready to go right after instructional demo. I am the "village smith" at the Georgia Mtn. Fair in Hiawassee. Stop by during July or Oct. events and I'll share any of
my limited - beginner skills with you. Forge on, Har Fisher Ft Myers Fl and Hayesville NC

• 11 months later...

Howdy folks. I'm from down in Laurinburg NC. Just starting out as well so I can't give much in the way of advice but I'm always happy to lend a helping hand. And for anyone in the far west of the state, I'm a full time student at Western Carolina University so if anyone out that way needs a hand I am happy to help.