I Forge Iron

Got my 100LB LG Running Today

Oh man I got the hammer running today had to refit some parts and make a nice guard for the beast before I could stand in front of it. I did the first few cycles standing behind a couple sheets or 3/4 inch OSB….yep scary deal for me. Today was the first time I’ve ever ran a power hammer or even seen one run. I will say it was VERY impressive. I’m so happy I cut my shop floor out and poured a 3 foot thick 7 sack concrete base for this thing, that’s for sure. I see the need for a brake for sure, using it with top tools for furniture and fixture making and the like. I machined a real nice top tool holding fixture that I’ve seen some of you other guys using. I’ll try to post pictures tomorrow or a video, if I can figure out how to do that on this site. **** I can’t hardly wait till tomorrow.

I’ve been watching video of power hammers till I’m blue in the face. Stewartthesmith you are absolutely correct. What I need is someone with experience and 100lb little giant experience at that , to come make a visit to beautiful Coeur D’ Alene Idaho. You can stay here at our new home outside of town and show me the ropes of power hammer use. I’ll put you up in a very nice room in our home in a very nice part of the planet, feed you very well. We might even have a drink or four…..after the equipments shut off. Any takers?

Oh yeah Macallans, marinade for 1 ice cube. ;} You better believe it Mr. Macbruce. Justin I'll let ya know when I get the brake on and have the thing acting like a nice beast, so you can come take a look see. It might be a few weeks, as I'll be out of town a while.

Coeur d' Alene is definitely a pretty place, I went through there once on business. Lots of Dodge Power Wagons lying about (one of my other interests).

A 100 lb hammer is about ideal for a small one man shop. Everyone thinks "bigger is better" but the 100 is plenty big to do most hand held work but small enough to be economical and relatively easy to move. Adding a brake will help tremendously with set tooling.

InFire I have some experience setting up Liitle Giants and training them to behave. If you like you can send me an e-mail and we can discuss a time. I won't be able to make the trip until sometime in April. What style of hammer do you have and what kind dies are in it?

I'm watching the DVD's from Clifton Ralph while out of town. I can't do much else, so a little further education by the hammerman seems to be the best I can do for now. Phil " Peacock" is making a brake band for me and gave me some very useful safety advice as well. To be honest, the hammer scares the hell out of me so I think thats a fine place to start from.

I still need to get some first hand real world education. Anyone in the area of North Idaho or the Phoenix area using a power hammer that I could spend sometime with please let me know.