I Forge Iron

Newbie with a Gas Forge

Weaponologist

Hi guys, I'm a Retired Gunsmith starting a new Hobby, Yeah right?? Well I got an Anvil and a used Forge that has one burner called a (T-REX)?
My question for you is this....The forge came with a front door that can be moved up or down to hold in heat....However it has damage and I need to know what to use and also were the best place to get the product...here are some pic's of the forge and the door beside it..

riu2pj.jpg

63y7v6.jpg

I use a product called Greenpatch 421. It is a refractory mortar from AP Green products. I think it can be ordered online or if their is a boiler supply company in your area they may have it. Greenpatch 421 comes inthe consistency of drywall mud but can be thinned to "pretty thin" I use at about milk shake thickness to coat raw ceramic wool. It has a heat limit of 3200 degrees F. Good stuff! :)

Edit: I just realized how much this sounded like spam. Forgive me. I have no ties with AP Green or get any kickback or any such thing. I just like the product! :D

Edited by Dodge

The bucket of Greenpatch 421 will come with some brown liquid separated from the clay, this must be stirred back in the mix and the whole bucket stirred deep. I find this is a good patching mortar but is not as reflective as soft firebrick. Use it only to mortar cracks and to stick bricks together. If you smear it all over the inside of the forge it will be a heat sink. I think a 2 gallon bucket is the smallest quantity you can get. A.P. Greene is the maker/distributor down here. I have never tried it to coat raw ceramic wool as Dodge do.

What OnR said about the brown liquid. Its part of the binder and will settle. Just stir it back in and it will be fine. I have not noticed heat sinking to be a problem, however. I was told that the shelf life is almost indefinite as long as it stays wet. When I coat raw wool, the first coat crack and crazes a lot but one or two more coats usually seals the cracks. I have a few cracks in the seams where the wall meet the flood but have had no performance issues because of it

Nothing to add on the refractory mortar but the T-Rex burner is a BEAST!! I recently purchased one from Mr. Rex Price at hybridburners and have been forge welding some of my first pattern welded billets of 1084 and 15N20 in a similar sized forge. Im reaching welding temps at 5-7psi. It should serve you as well or better than any two similar sized venturi burners out there right now. That is of course just my humble opinion. Enjoy!!