I Forge Iron

Rolling Mill Roll Material

the bell bronze that is used in cymbals prefers to crack....its nature is to crack.
So you need to work it in a way to play to its other properties...tension is a bad thing.

As with all math...have him show his work.

I think the engineer will ask several questions..some of which you can not answer and some wish not to.

Ric

I am working on a mill for about 3 month now ...everything that can go wrong went wrong :) yesturday my 5hp motor failed :) Do you want to workthe materail cold or hot ?

I see cold roling bronze ...

well my mill has both of the rollers spining and i am using a single motor (using 2 probably will have different RPMS and will not work)

my rolls are plasma nitrided for longer life

What about the frame,now? I was thinking 1/2" mild steel plate/channel/beam combination, welded together and to a 1" thick plate for the base. I don't know how much it would cost, but would casting the two main parts of the frame (left and right "pillars") and then weld them together and to a base be better? I haven't looked into the cost of iron/steel casting, but there are a couple of foundries nearby. By the way: It looks like neither stock gears nor old tractor bull gears will probably handle the force (assuming I can produce that force), according to the nice people at Martin who plugged the numbers into some software. So, I plan on having them fabricated from alloy steel.

wrought material is stronger than cast...best to use standard structural steel.
The bulk of the force is keeping the rolls from separating...called oddly enough "separation force".

1/2" plate will buckle like a newspaper in the wind under the forces you will need to do what you need to do.

At some point you need to run the numbers OR build HUGE.
Most 16-20 inch mills have 7x9 or larger castings for pillars.

I'm not sure you have really internalized what it is you are trying to build.
If you can build this for less than $15,000 in parts I would be surprised.

Ric

Well, besides two huge thick-walled castings, how would one construct a frame out of metal so thick? Is it possible to weld such thick steel plate? By wrought, you mean that it's been processed after casting, not necessarily wrought into shape after purchasing the stock, correct? I couldn't find any angle or channel (with parallel sides, 6" wide) thicker than 1/2".

I had written a long reply to this, but it got lost..not sure why.

Look into box beams and standard structural shapes.
You will need to know the forces you need to contain and then build a safety factor into that....OR
build big and hope for the best.

Plumb and straight are a matter of shims and ground/milled parts, not off the shelf components.

Castings are weaker than rolled parts and need to be larger...one off castings are going to be costly and still need machining.

I think your next step is to try to calculate the forces you are containing and then design the stand.
Have the engineer that is stopping by work out rough numbers for you.....should take him a few hours.
You need to give him the following:
yield strength of what you are rolling
reduction percentages
speed of the rolls
roll diameter
roll material and its yield
bearing contact area
and maybe a few other numbers.

Ric

Thank you, Ric. I thought the engineer was coming up this weekend but it's actually Fri the 11th. I'm not buying any steel until I consult with him first. I won't have any extra money til then anyways. :)
Related: With my theoretical force plugged in, Martin said gears made of 4140 HT with a 3" face will work.. On the other hand if I went with 1144 or similar, I would be looking at a 20-inch tooth face! wow

Thank you, Ric. I thought the engineer was coming up this weekend but it's actually Fri the 11th. I'm not buying any steel until I consult with him first. I won't have any extra money til then anyways. :)
Related: With my theoretical force plugged in, Martin said gears made of 4140 HT with a 3" face will work.. On the other hand if I went with 1144 or similar, I would be looking at a 20-inch tooth face! wow

Where will you get the gears heat treated? Without a proper heat treatment the numbers mean nothing. The gear places I spoke to wish to cut only annealed stock, not Q&T.

Ric

• 1 year later...