I Forge Iron

welding chisel dings in anvil face

I cannot imagine how he never noticed the DEEP chisel marks on the face of my mousehole anvil, or why he would even chisel anything on the anvil face . but the damage is done . I am going to weld these marks up ,after smoothing with a flap wheel you will never find them. Here is how . Using my Miller Synchrowave 250 T.I.G. with hi freq. start and foot pedal amp control and e-70s 2 1/16"T.I.G.wire. Pure argon. No preheat.Very tiny passes with only a tiny bead of filler wire. Be sure to move the " fisheye"off the patch as you decrease the amps. Allow no tungsten to contaminate the weld and keep the anvil cool to touch on the face. This filler wire matches color so well the weld becomes invisible.

when I Tig weld dings or chisel marks on an anvil face I use a high carbon tool steel rod 1/16 hammer it flat so its thinner , heat anvil face take the chill out of it ! , welds don't match color & you can see them - no big deal for me there just want good filler rod cant remember rod no# ask welding supply or call a rod maker ask tech for rod Info :)