I Forge Iron

Retiring the Little Giant 50#

Hi All
Well the repaired sow block(repaired many times) not all by me. It broke today while I was doing a 1018/1095 folded steel billet for a guy who wants make his own Katana. It has served me well for many years now. I broke out big piece of the anvil this time. I don think I will repair it again it has just seen better days. The hammer came from the Climax Moly mine where it was used from any years and it is just past much help.
I think I will build the New Style Kinyon air hammer to replace it. I know this has been talked about many times here. I have read every thread here and many on other forums about these hammers, but I plan to mod it with the John Emmerling style head so things will be interesting for a while around here. I was wounding if the Norgren(sp) valves are the way to go or if the other suppliers are good to use. I have seen people using the Reed pilot valves in some ot the builds, but you never here back how things worked out. The thread just gets dropped. One guy here built a really neat hammer, he had a lot of nice CNC finished parts he did, then just nothing. So if anyone has any input on the parts to stay away from let me know. I'll update here as I go and let you know how it is going.
Take care
CH

Hi Phil
Yeah it's already spoken for. A hobby smith down the road a piece wants it. With the anvil in two pieces it's kind of hard to not be honest :D about it. The back bearing cap has a crack in it, I saw it the last time I poured bearings, the hammer head is woren bad and I am sure it needs a toggle arm, and a new spring for sure. He wants to cut off the anvil top and replace it with a steel round piece below the brake. I priced parts for it a year or so ago and had about 1500 in parts and I only paid 800 for it when I got . It's an early one I think the Sn is like 13XX it has a tooling hole in the middle of the frame . The castings then were not the best then. A lot of the the ealy ones have broken sow blocks and anvils from what I here. I need a good working hammer that I can use when I need one. I hate fixing tools when I'm trying to get a job done. I'm going to start ordering parts Monday for the air hammer. Made up the list from the new style plans list. I talked to John E. and got most of the details I needed for the parts to do his Mod you can see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3QopHjiyfQ nice design and function. I'll be fully retired soon so all I need is to use it for a few years. :lol:
Take care
CH