I Forge Iron

kitchen knives

blackravenforge

I have a friend who wants to comission a set of professional kitchen knives from me. I was wondering what peoples oppinions were as to what the best steel for the job would be. It's up to him weather or not he want's just streight forged or folded steel but what is the opinion on both. Which would be the best for just forged and which would be the best for folded?

5160 is somewhat rust resistant, but not stainless. It responds well to "backyard" heat treat. The material is often used in leaf springs (but not always) and can be had is suitable sized pieces as drops from a suspension shop.

Since this is your first post, what are your skills? What kind of equipment do you have? Do you have access to other people's equipment? If you have never done pattern welding this is not the project to try it on. Making blades is hard enough to learn how to forge and grind without having to spend hours working a billet just to mess it up as you go along.

Phil

I have been using W-2 tool with good luck. I am a chef so use my knife 6 or more hours a day. The W-2 holds an edge finer and longer than the henckel I was using before. As for rust, just take care of the knife.
Bob Kramer uses 52100 for his non damascus knives. The 52100 has a great reputation but requires precise heat treatment and is not for beginners.
Any steel that will hold a very fine edge should work fine.
Oh and visit Bob's site, as he is the master of kitchen knives.
Lots of luck, -Justin

I have been making knives for a few years now and am decent enough at it. I have done forge welding before so if he want's them folded i can do it. As for rust... well cooks used carbon for years before stainless and didn't have much trouble as long as they knew how to properly take care of their blades. I don't like grinding and usually just use files and sand paper. I think that i'll probably go with the 5160 though. thanks for the input.

• 3 weeks later...